Transmission maintennace - drain or power flush??

I've at the 30k maintenance point on a Taco. I called Toyota and asked how they deal w/ the transmission (5 speed manual). He said they drained it, not power flushed it. Should I get if power flushed? Does it make much difference?

Thnx

Reply to
BillC

Just change the fluid, and get it analized. If there are any particles in it, then get it flushed. Just a drain should be good enough if it is maintained properly.

Reply to
guess

I've heard of tranny failures with flushing. At 30K this shouldn't be a problem, but if Toy says drain and fill, OI would drain and fill. And a filter, too.

Is the fluid still red? If so, you're OK.

Reply to
HachiRoku

If the fluid is red in this guy's tranny, there is some major funny business going on. Also, I have yet to see a MANUAL transmision with a filter on it. If you actually read the original post, the guy states QUOTE"5 speed manual"UNQUOTE.

Reply to
guess

Ford manual (Mazda) 5-speed transmissions use ATF so I wouldn't be really shocked to see red fluid in a manual.

Reply to
chuck

Manual transmissions aren't power flushed. The only thing you can do for a manual is drain & refill. Do it.

The only time automatic transmissions fail from a complete flush is if they're dying anyway. The new ATF doesn't fix the problems they were hoping to fix, and the new ATF does some cleaning that lets the worn out parts show just how worn out they really are.

Regular complete flush and refill of an automatic will extend the life of every transmission. Alternately, just a pan drain & refill, about 1/4 of the total system contents, at maybe every other oil change will keep the fluid in good condition unless the fluid gets really overheated.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton