Transmission swap

I have an 04 Toyota 2.4L standard cab, 2WD, 15" wheels, with a 5 speed transmission. I live in the city and after 10,000 miles, I'm tired of shifting. Is it possible to change this 5 speed to an automatic with a floor shifter? If so, about how much would this cost? Thanks Richard C

Reply to
Richard

Normally the transmission is matched to the rear differential gearing. Not sure if the rear diff gearing for a manual would work well with an automatic.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

There's no difference in final drive ratios between the automatic and manual transmissions for that model Taco.

That said, Richard would be better off selling his current truck and buying the same model with an automatic transmission. Depending on whether he does it or has a shop do it and whether he uses new or junkyard parts, it would cost roughly in the neighborhood of $1500 - $3500 to do this swap.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

1995 Tacoma 2WD 2.4L 5 speed List owner, Toy_Coma
Mike Harris

Its not just the flywheel, trans and shifter --- much of the wiring harnes and ECU has to be swapped out too. Isn't that a 2.7L 4?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Richard