Shift solenoid code #0773

OK, I read code P0773 in my '99 Camry, v6. Shift Solenoid. A little help, where is this part located? What is its function?

Thanks.

Merc.

Reply to
Mercury

I suspect it allows the vehicle from shifting from 3rd to 4th (overdrive) gear. On my 2002 Camry, the shift solonoid was replaced to the tune of $1000 (under warranty thankfully).

Reply to
Car Guy

Car Guy, what were the symptoms that the defective solenoid caused? Did the dealer replace anything else?

Reply to
Mercury

I was driving my car and I felt a shudder from third to 4th gear and the check engine light came on and I was not able to shift into 4th (overdrive).

They replaced the shift solonoid, the gasket, changed the transmission fluid, and other associated parts. I had about 7,000 km (4,400 miles) when this happened.

(overdrive)

Reply to
Car Guy

P0773 is more specifically an electrical fault with your lock-up solenoid. What you were feeling is 4th gear with the lock up converter disabled. This causes higher RPMS and the sensation that you are in 3rd gear. I've seen that solenoid fail a few times in that year range on the v6 trans (A541E). Its an easy fix and won't cause any long term repercussions with the rest of the transaxle.

Reply to
tbspenard

Thanks for your reply. I have not noticed any change in performance at all. RPM's seem ok, the tach says it is shifting ok into 4th. What can I expect to pay to replace this part? Could it be the wiring to the solenoid that fails? Why is there no change in performance? Where is this part located?

Reply to
Mercury

Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative lead of the = battery for about 15 minutes, if the code return then have the solenoid = connection checked or replace the solenoid.

Jack.

transmission

Reply to
Jack

I allready erased the codes once with the obd2 reader. The codes came back. The car is working perfectly though.

Jack.

Reply to
Mercury

Did you remove the tranny pan yet?

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I already erase the codes once with the obd2 reader. They came back. I can't locate the shift solenoids on the engine. The book I have, shows them on the drivers side, on the trans. but for the life of me, I can't find them.

Jack.

Reply to
Mercury

DON'T look in there... you'll let the salamander noids out!

Reply to
Philip®

No, I am changing the oil today. Don't tell me they are in there. What kind of cheap book did I buy? Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Mercury

OK, I found them. Inside the tranny. Now, looks like I need a special tool to remove the pipes around the shift solenoids, without breaking them. I can't get to the solies because of the stupid pipes. Any advise on how to remove the pipes? Any pecial pliers or pullers? I don't want to pull on them too hard, they look fragile.

After changing the oil and strainer, at 80,400 miles for the first time, the tranny is shifting a lot better. A lot smoother now. I guess one gets used to the shift cycles as they change. From now on is new oil every 12,000 miles.

Anyways, I took a reading on the solenoids, they are right at 26 ohms. I expect that is the part triggering the P0773 E code. The book says it should be at between 8 and 15 ohms. So it looks like I am in the market for a new shift solenoid. Any ideas who sells them at a good price?

And thanks again to all that contributed.

Reply to
Mercury

May I ask a silly question? Considering these solenoids vent fluid pressure (in most cases), what is more important?

A) The resistance thru the solenoid windings?

or....

B) The solenoid goes CLICK (plunger valve movement) when you apply power to the solenoid?

Reply to
Philip®

I would say B. The proper mechanical working of the solenoid. I don't think your question is silly, but understand my problem. The solenoid is working mechanically flawless as far as I and the tranny is concerned. The shifts come at their proper timing. However, my onboard computer tells me there is a problem in the electrical circuit of the solenoid, and lights up the MIL in my dashboard. It's annoying as heck, and it may be telling me that the solenoid windings are about to shift their last shift soon. So I am trying to solve the problem before it gets worse, and trying to learn a little bit in the process.

Reply to
Mercury

You have my sympathetic concern. When all is -apparently- well, an MIL seemingly possessed by some transient gremlin can be irritating. A friend of mine with a '98 VW Jetta TDI had a similar issue. Seems the problem was the ECM's self diagnostics had died but ... the car ran fine. To extinguish the MIL required a new ECM to the tune of $1,600. YIKES

Reply to
Philip®

Yeah, I know what you mean. A friend of mine had a similar problem. I put him in touch with another buddy of mine that repairs and rebuilds OB computers and he gave us a used, but in good working order OB computer for free. Unfortunately my computer is just fine. I ran it trhough diags. What I need is a shift solenoid.

Reply to
Mercury