1776cc NonStart Saga Continues

Right heres the latest instalment .....

Firstly . don't work on a car when you are tired - Turns out i had the firing order set WRONG ( 4 and 3 swapped) which also ment i had the valves all set wrong aswell. I now have just re-set valves up 6 thou. I'm happy engine is set up .... crank time i have an inductive pick up on No1 so i can read RPM cranks at 200rpm. whilst cranking i get poping , and coughing out of the exhaust an ocasional shudder (tring to fire) and the ocassional pop back through me Dellorto 40's Am i now playing with mixture on carbs and checking jets ? or is there something else i have missed ? mixtures screws are out 3 turns ( as in the dellorto manual pre-tune )

Puzzelled

John

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
John Skeldon

Dear Puzzled: Repeat the test I outlined (#1 valves closed) for #1 plug firing. Set initial timing at TDC (zero deg) just to get it started.

It may be worth doing a compression test as well.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If you had the valves set at the opposite (180 degree) setting, then they are off by more than 006. In any event, I suspect the dizzy wires are still in the wrong order.

Reply to
jjs

ok Jim but what figures am i looking for

thanks

John

Reply to
John Skeldon

On the compression? Oh, something between 100 and 150 PSI.

Reply to
Speedy Jim