'71 Beetle, broken lower ball-joint

Hi. Quite a boo-boo on my bug recently. The passenger lower ball-joint simply split into two pieces, one piece still attatched to the torsion arm, the other on the steering knuckle. Any advice on how to replace this would be much appreciated. I have found a tool on JCWhitney's website for extracting it (fork with a bolt on it). What is needed for installing a ball-joint? Will I need to completely remove the torsion arm from the car to do this? Thank you for your consideration.

Tell, Idaho.

Reply to
Tell

Its best to take the arm off and take it to have the joint pressed out and the new one installed. (its cheaper that way, since you dont have to pay someone to take it all apart and reassemble) takes alot of force to press the new joint in! while you are at it take all 4 off and replace them all! (thats like only replacing one tire, or doing a brake job on one wheel.)

Reply to
dragenwagen

Definitely check them all at least, along with the arm bearings!!! How is the front end's condition? Any major through rust?

There should still be places that will sell you "rebuilt" arms with new ball joints pressed in them already. I prefer keeping what came off the car since I kinda know the history of the existing one! ;-)

I have the tool that specifically changes the Type 1 ball joints and also the C-type tool from Harbor Freight. The HF tool would probably work, if the cheap thing does not bend first, but you would probably have to buy the adapter set for it and then your cost for this tool might run you over $120 unless you bought them on sale. You also might be able to rent the tool. Having a tool like this might allow you to change the ball joint while the arm is still installed!

NOTE: Ball joints are designed to be aligned before you install them!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Try Wolfgang International

That's whereI bought my rebuilt trailing arms w/ new Ball Joints. I shoppedaround and they seemed to have the best deal. Search their site for "Reconditioned Ball Joint Arms".

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan