Any tips removing stock tailpipes?

'74 SB. Great condition. Stock muffler is good, no rust, but tailpipes are rusty/corroded. Have 2 new tailpipes, but the old ones don't want to budge off. Worried I might tear them, and/or muffler apart by twisting. Any tips or suggestions as to how to get these suckers out, so I can replace them with the shiny new ones? Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard Golding

Wack em with a mallet =P

Reply to
Exille

VW had a tool for this that is basically a big wrench that evenly grabs the entire pipe. Then the pipe is twisted with the wrench. You might want to put some WD40, CRC or some other liquid wrench stuff there beforehand and then just twist them back=20 and forth while pulling out. You may ruin the chrome on the old ones while taking them out. I would sand out the rust from the=20 muffler port inner surfaces before installing the new ones. Check your manual for correct installation depth so that your intake preheat will work properly.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Having a lack of real tools, I just clamped a vice grip on the thing and twisted until it came free.

In hindsight that was probably dumb because my muffler is quite rusty and probably shouldn't be subjected to the abuse, but it did work and no damage was dealt.

So if more subtle methods don't help you, try the "hulk" method, assuming the muffler isn't too far gone it can probably take a fair amount of violence.

Reply to
Seth Graham

If all of this fails and you have nothing to lose anymore, try to saw them off near to the muffler and then grind through the metal from the inside using a drill with a small grinding stone. Then peel off the metal from the inside starting from the cut.

"Richard Golding" schreef in bericht news:BC347FE4.13EF6% snipped-for-privacy@mailcache.com...

Reply to
Ad

*grabs the First Aid kit* Do yourself a favor and wear really thick gloves if you choose this options.

Kidd *thick-metal-cuts-too!* Andersson "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Let it soak a bit with Liquid wrench.

Chris