Battery drain - because of fuel injection!

Hi folks... I have a 1982 air cooled, fuel injected transporter van. For a couple of years the battery will go flat after a few days. I inserted a multimeter between the battery and one lead, removed all fuses and made sure nothing else was powered (it has no clock for instance).

Sure enough, there was still a current draw - about 130mA. So back to the engine bay I went... I unplugged every plug, wire & harness one at a time. The culprit was in the last one I unplugged - (amazing how that always happens to me, how about anyone else?) : )

Anyway - the fault is in the Jetronic fuel injection box. Remove cable from socket, no current draw. Replace, 130mA drain.

I don't suppose this is a common fault, or anyone would know what faulty component I should be looking for?

Allan

Reply to
(Just) Allan

Not sure if this is related to your year or not, but my FI bug has a relay that controls the power to the FI control box when the car is running. It is located next to control box. If your bug has this relay as well, perhaps it has one of its contacts welded closed?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Look here on my web site:

the Fuel Injection section. Your year is a little different, but the power feed to the ECU is the same.

On the far right of the diagram, look for pin #10 on the ECU (ECU Power). This is fed from the "Double Relay" pin 88a. The relay gets its power direct from the battery, so its always live.

If that relay contact sticks, the ECU never shuts off.

That would be my first suspicion.

There is a very good diagram of the system for your year in Haynes '80 thru '83.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yours is of course a bus, I mean - not a bug. Design might be similar, though..

Reply to
Remco

Speedy,

Sometimes you scare me.

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan

ROFLMAO That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week:-) Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks to both... I haven't had a chance to look at the van yet. I actually already printed that diagram ages ago, if I'd thought about it more. : )

Reply to
(Just) Allan

Check the fuel injection main power relay, also called the double relay. I don't know where it's located on a bus, but it should shut off power before it can get to the brain when you turn the key off.

-

Jim Adney

One more thing - if the Vanagon has the same circuitry as the late bus, there is a remote chance you could be getting feedback through your hazard warning switch. I had power at the double relay until I disconnected the hazard warning light switch (don't remember which fuse did it, but since you removed all fuses, that probably excludes it.) If all else fails, look there. -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

Hm... Ok, thanks. Must get around to looking at this too - if it had some seats, we'd use it more often! (It's a two-seater commercial.)

Reply to
(Just) Allan