Fuse 13 and Fuel Injection system

I have a '93 Saab 9000. Recently, the instrument panel display lighting went out. That is, when I drive at night, I can't see the tachometer, speedometer, or fuel gauge. I thought it might be a blown fuse, so I looked in my Owner's Manual and saw that fuse 13 controls "Instrument, main; electronic display (EDU); fuel insjection."

I also saw the following note (in another section):

"NOTE Before removing or replacing any fuses, make sure the ignition switch is in the lock position. If fuse 13 is removed when the ignition switch is in the accessory or drive position, a fault will register with the SRS and cause the instrument SRS warning light to illuminate. If this happens, only an authorized Saab dealership can erase the fault and extinguish the light."*

Well, while the key was not even in the ignition, I popped out fuse 13 and checked that it wasn't blown, then popped it right back in again, thinking "Well, that's not my problem."

Then I started the car to head for work. However, the car quickly sputtered and died--which it had never done before. Then I started it again and this time it stayed on, but had very little get up and go. I was able to get to work (3 miles), and felt confident it wasn't going to totally die on me. But, though I no nothing about fuel injection, I had the feeling that unplugging fuse 13, however briefly, had screwed up my fuel injection system.

Is this possible? If so, is there any recourse besides taking it in to a Saab expert?

Thanks,

- Willie Williams Boston area

  • The SRS light does appear briefly now (over the roof of the car outline display in the instrument panel) when I start the car, but it disappears quickly.
Reply to
Willie Williams