Best way to lower a bay?

Would this be to use dropped spindles and some shorter shocks on the front, and turn the spring plates on the back? Would this give me a good ride? I am not looking to get the van right on the floor, but just to lower it around 2 inches so that it sits a little nicer, and still get a nice ride out of it, not too hard not too soft. I do not really want to replace the beam, but what about using adjusters on the beam?

I am in the process of installing new brake discs, calipers, hoses etc. and thought now would be the time to do it all.

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

Fill it full o bricks !!! HaHa

I like stock for the ride. I bought a lowered split (ajustable beam) and hate the way it drives ! (looks cool ). I had a stock split and liked it much more.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

lol At the moment I can instantly lower the front just by climbing into the van! Too much turkey over Crimbo.

If lowering it is going to affect it that much though, I think I will leave it alone. I would not mind it a little stiffer, but is it really worth it.

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

Best way to find out is to take a ride in a lowered bus and see !

Check out your local club - if you're not in one - find one !

VW folk are a friendly bunch :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I know, VW folk are the best, and I have been meaning to join my local club for the past 3 years! Got to make it my new years resolution.

Thanks mate.

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

It's the same with my 1975 1303S. It doesn't even come close to the ride quality of my '66! It does handle better, though.

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

I used to have a '67 beetle and that was very low at the front end. Almost no suspension travel but handled brilliantly and, more importantly, looked the dogs danglers! This was good because I had a fairly poky 1776 motor in it, and it needed to handle well. The camper on the other hand, has a standard 1600 so it is not exactly a flyer, and I do not intend to drive it quickly so I think I wll be keeping it all standard.

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

Mine Fits in car parks though :)

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Is it worth replacing the shocks while I am down there though? What with, standard items, or go for something like spax?

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

You should replace them. I am not sure if drop spindles change the rate, but you should be able to compare when installing. If the length is smaller than the stock then go for it. If you keep stock length shocks they will eventual blow out and you will have poor handling. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of lowering... another thing you can/should do is add spacers between the lower tube of the beam and the frame. I know this is common on the beetle, and should work on a bus too. Ask about it when you do get that ride in the lowered bay. I might be blowing smoke here. bottom line is, when you lower a car suspension/steering geometry changes so you have to make changes to almost everything. Drop spindles might be a way to go, if you don't mind not being able to adjust ride hight later.

-anton

Gareth Edwards wrote:

Reply to
anton

Right now, mine has a load of manure in it. a pick-up.

Looks good!

Reply to
ITMFA