Black or white?

Check out the pic of the westy that I bought a few weeks ago:

This was pretty much what Itlooked like when I brought it home. I was able to shrink all the rust spotsand stains on the paint by scrubbing with a scouring pad and super clean andthen waxing it. other than actual paint chips or rust holes, it looks a wholelot better than this now! Anyway, I trying to decide what to do with the bumpers. As you can see theyare faded black and sloppily done by the PO. But I kinda like the look of theblack. I was considering doing something like my Baja where all trim includinghandles etc.. are black. Although I grabbed the DA the other day and startedsanding on the rear bumper (which has an easy 4 coats of paint on it) andnow it at least whitish gray and I kinda get a taste of matching white bumpersand I'm diggin that too. So whadda you think? It's most likely gonna end up a spray bomb job for nowas I just want it to look somewhat clean before the move to the new house,don't want to hit the new neighbors with the junkers just yet. ;)

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

...............That's a pretty good looking westy for $500!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

My vote is white. White will aesthetically make your bus appear lighter on its feet, not so ponderously weighted down. White on top of a proper primer will show the rock chips a lot less than black. CLUE: Rock Chips Happen White is far easier to touch up in a jiffy, no mis-match speckles. White is what VW always did, thus making your bus look more original and enhancing its value. White is less likely to get hit by a moron in a foggy parking lot at dusk. Um. . . . White is easier to keep clean. White at the back bumper is less apt to retain engine heat? I have run out of wild excuses.

Reply to
Colin

White.

That black, or any other black, looks as dopey as shit.

It doesn't really matter if it doesn't match exactly - it's a bumper.

If you want some pix of a white 76 van with white bumpers to see what it looks like, just ask.

Hope I can find something like that for a similar price now that I'm home in Canada.

I've got a pic of the tow-truck taking my old van in Singapore for it's last one-way trip - boo-hoo.

Reply to
Oldbie

Oh - and paint that "VW" white also - believe me, you feel much better about driving that thing down the road afterward.

Trying to impress the chicks (or anybody for tha matter), with contrasting colours always looks so juvenile.

Reply to
Oldbie

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't like being cold.

To acclimatize again, after arriving 3 weeks ago, I went outside and shovelled snow for hours on end.

My goofy older brother keeps the temperature inside his house at around 16 C - he says he likes it there. I think it's because he doesn't like people to come over and hang around, hahaha.

The last coupla weeks I've been playing hockey on an outddor rink in skates that are slightly too narrow, waiting till my own gear arrived in my shipment just yesterday.

I'll try it all out again tomorrow in an proper INDOOR arena - full dress. At 57 I'll be the youngster in the family on our team - my uncle is 74 - he's ex-professional - and my younger brother (53) doesn't get in from Winterpeg till next thursday.

Where are you staying, Tim? Are you north something?

Reply to
Oldbie

No more wild excuses?

white will increase your engine efficiency up to 10 mpg. while will attract bimbos like hell. while will make you van invisible to police radars, and cops themselves. while .................

lol

Ant

Col> On 18 Feb 2004 03:02:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comma (Mark Detro) wrote: >

Reply to
Ant

Unless you use matt black - all the old rally cars used to have matt-black bonnets ;-)

-- Howard Rose '66 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe '62 Austin Mini Deluxe '64 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Howard Rose

I would say black, only because it is very hard to get the same white as the van itself. And my guess is that 2 different shades of white will tear it's appearance down... But beware; shiny black is very difficult to put on properly. Semi-matt or matt black IS an alternative....

Roger

"Mark Detro" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m15.aol.com...

Reply to
Bug59

And that's the bad side! Yea, I think I made out ok on this one, There is a fair amount of filler along the bottom perimiter but its been on there along time and sat outside all its life and still looks solid (only a few normal spots blowing out). So I thank whoever the bodyman was back in the day cause he did a pretty good job prepping it at least. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

I think that ones a stretch but I'll give you an A for effort :)

I see from other post its kinda 50/50. HMMM, how about checkerboard?

I'm still torn, I got a couple more days here till I get time to do it anyway so I'll keep thinking about it.

Question, was the white originally painted on the bumpers the same color white that was spayed on the body itself, or was it a brighter white? I was thinking of taking the front vent off and color matching it at my paint supplier ( I know its not original shade allthough close) and attempt to somewhat Blend a few spots I wanna repair on the body. I could just get more paint mixed for the bumpers. Or I do have some white base clear here left over from a job I did for somebody but I think it will be a little brighter. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

I think it was called "cloud white" and the body was a slightly different lotus white or something, according to a 1968 color chart. If my memory serves me correctly ( yeah right) it was a slightly brighter white than the body, but matched the roof. Colin

Reply to
Colin

Yeah, but not as dopey as my '66 Bus. I used railroad ties for bumpers. When a couple Chicago taxi drivers still didn't _get it_, I put those diagonal yellow and black stripes on them - you know, the kind they put on airport flightline tugs. Tacky. Threatening. That's cool in a vehicle that yer nearly strapped to the front in.

Reply to
jjs

..............How does it feel to be freezing your butt off again? Just like old times?

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

....................Upstate NY. About 3 1/2 hrs. drive from Niagara or Kingston. ..............I grew up in Florida but was born about 20 miles from the St. Lawrence and still have aunts, uncles & cousins living all over that area.

.........I follow hockey but can't skate. However, I can water ski better than most 50 something losers........lol

......I've been a Penguins fan for about 20 years now but times have been tough lately.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

hmmm... its were my thermostat is in winter nights :)

(I have a digital thermostat that rises the temp to 21 early in the morning, then drops it at 830, when I am going out, and rises it back again 6 or 7 pm... nice US$100 spent...)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Throw a tablespoon gob of red/brown primer in with that white and you could match it exactly. I'd still do the "VW" also, but not till you get a closer match.

Reply to
Oldbie

Does it look better?;

Also check out the awning I pulled off anouther bus in the local VW partsyard.

It comes out of it's Aluminum housing kinda like a birds wing. Anyone ever see one or have any info on it? it has a zipper and snaps all the way around it like it had a screen room or tent. Its self supported off the camper. It came off what I think was a "sportmoblie" version (mid 70's T-4) Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Absolutely. Notice the fleet-footed delicate grace of the VW Bus with white bumpers, the promise of pure driving pleasure, the dignity and balance of the form as it juxtaposes the elegant radius of the windshield against the maturity and gravitas of the horizontal delineation between the body and bumper. I'm telling ya, I seen art critics wax more stoopit dan dis. . . Colin

Reply to
Colin

.............Yep.........You're from NY.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers