difficulty shifting bus

My 76 Westy is having difficulty shifting, especially into reverse. The clutch normally does go to the floor, I'd like to tighten the cable is it in the same place as a bug?

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with MyNewsGroups :)

Share your knowledge in... rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
phillawlor

Yes, the adjustment is same place.

Is it grinding going into Reverse? If it is NOT grinding, cable adjust is not the problem.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Oh no, you are scaring me...yes reverse is the main culprit right now. I can get into reverse if I do that while the engine isn't running, but it will grind after i have been using other gears.

Speedy Jim wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with MyNewsGroups :)

Share your knowledge in... rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
phillawlor

Then adjustment *may* help. You should have ~ 1" of free play at the top of the pedal after adjustment.

A Caution note: A clutch cable that needs much adjustment often means that the cable is stretching and getting ready to break.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with MyNewsGroups :)

Share your knowledge in... rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
phillawlor

I thought I had a problem with the cable on my Squareback. I tightened it, but I needed to tighten it again and eventually I realized the problem was the clutch pedal assembly when the portion of said assembly which attached to the cable broke off. I had to replace it on the street in front of some friends' house (a busy residential street 1 block from the main college student shopping/eating/partying area).

Replacing the cable or pedal assembly solo (my friends weren't home by the time I returned with the parts) is very difficult as one really needs one end held whilst the other is attached.

Reply to
mez