electical problems

Ok, so I have had contiual problems with the tail-lights on my 6v oval. Now, the right brake light is so dim as to not be noticable when on and my left tail-light is out completely. Neither directional is working and neither tail-light comes on either. I've already cleaned the wires and connections at the housing. I will be checking this tomorrow, but here is my question, at this point given the repeated problems, should I check voltage at the point where the loom and wires to the tail-lights meet and if that is ok, just re-wire to the lights? I mean this is getting to be "old" if you get my point. If so, what type of wire should I get, since it appears nobody makes a partial loom for an oval. Thanks. - DB

Reply to
DB

Good idea to check the voltage there. There's no good reason to re-wire the car though.

Your car uses a single bulb with 2 filaments; it is vital that the ground connection for the brass shell of the bulb be good. I'm pretty sure that the Oval depended on the tiny screws which hold the housing to the fender for a ground.

As an experiment (if you read good voltage), connect a jumper wire from chassis ground to the bulb brass shell. If that fixes it, work on creating a good ground to the bulb socket.

If it doesn't fix it, use the meter to tarck where the voltage gets lost/.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Speedy Jim, I'll check the grounds. I should note, that the car has replacement fenders and the PO drilled only one hole to secure the taillight housing to the fender, so it could be that the ground is what's giving me the problem - it could be that after I fix it, the vibration causes loss of ground. - DB

Reply to
DB