electrical problems - followup

I checked the juice on the right tail light of my 6volt oval. With lights on 1.25 volts at the light. With lights off and brake depressed about 4 volts. Went up to the terminal in the engine compartment and checked at the terminal 5.6 volts. What's my next step to determine why the voltage drop? Again, I've cleaned the connections for the bulb holder and wires that connect to the bulb and screws that hold the wire to the bulb holder. I looked at the tail light section in my Bentley manual and I'm confused as to how the bulb holder is actually grounded as I am assuming it is a ground issue (correct me if I am wrong). It is not grounded to the mounting bracket, nor to the reflector. Any help appreciated. - DB

Reply to
DB

The holder is *not* grounded even to the mtg bracket? Hard to believe. My experience with Ovals is nill though. See if:

has an article about them.

You said this one had been cobbled together. It does use a 2-filament bulb, correct? I would consider soldering a ground wire to the shell of the socket and running the ground along with the other 2 wires into the engine bay.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim, I'll check the bugshop. Yep, neither holder is grounded to the mounting bracket, nor to the reflector shell. This is also how it appears in Bentley. Yep, both use the two filament bulb. I just can't figure IF it is not supposed to be grounded to "something" why they are not working. I'll certainly go with the ground wire solution. You can check out a wiring diagram at

under technical you'll see wiring andthen click on 55 on. If you look at the diagram, you'll see the terminal onthe right side (by the battery between the semaphore and tail light), Ichecked voltage on the #1 & 2 terminals from the left and got readings of5.5 on both. However, 0 on the left side at the bulb. Thanks. - DB

Reply to
DB

Before that, measure some more. Find out the voltage between the lamp holder + side and chassis (some point that you are sure is=20 properly grounded) and lamp holder ground side and chassis when the light is on. If you have proper 5.6 volts between + side and chassis, that side is ok and you propably have a grounding issue. If however the voltage there is not ok, drawing an explicit new=20 ground wire does not help you.=20

Voltage between know good ground and bulb holder ground side indicates also a grounding problem.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Ok, I went and checked again, this time also checking the - on both sides. I read 5.6 on all 4 points rightside + rightside -, leftside + and leftside -. So, am I correct that I should now go with Speedy Jims suggestion? Do I need to do this on the bulb holder on both sides? What gauge wire and where is a good place to attach in the engine compartment. Thanks. - DB

Before that, measure some more. Find out the voltage between the lamp holder + side and chassis (some point that you are sure is properly grounded) and lamp holder ground side and chassis when the light is on. If you have proper 5.6 volts between + side and chassis, that side is ok and you propably have a grounding issue. If however the voltage there is not ok, drawing an explicit new ground wire does not help you.