Engine Stands

Is there an advantage to having the engine stand for VW's or can you use the standard engine stand. Would this engine stand work for VW engines?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike Cross

I have one that looks just like that one that I got from Northern Tools. The arms do not adjust to fit the size of the vw case. I had to make 4 new arms that were shorter to allow using for a vw engine. I just used some box tubing and round tubing to make them.

Reply to
Tom Watson

Thanks for the reply. So there is no real benefit of using the engine stand that is sold at most of the VW parts places online with the curved arms. The link I posted was just a example, the one I am looking at does have the adjustable arms, I just don't have a photo or a link to it. I just wanted to make sure that these kind of engine stands would work without limitations or was the one with the curved arms needed for a specific reason.

Mike Cross

71 Superbeetle 70 Standard

Photos of progress are located at:

Mike Cross

I have one like you posted and used the bench mount VW engine mought where the adjustable arms were. It works well for a minimal invertment -- Being able to wheel around is a nice feature.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I have a variety of engine stands (like 4), but for the VW air cooled engines or Porsche 356/912 engines I prefer the "specific to them" engine stands.

All of them have the strength to hold the VWAC engines, but the VW adapter is easier to bolt onto the engine with or without the flywheel being on. Not sure if some "universal" engine stands can make the same claim. JMHO

dave

I cheated, I wanted a heavy duty stand with the universal mount for other engines and then took an old bench mount VW stand and welded up a spacer onto it so It would slide into the HD stand and tossed the bench mount part :) Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

This sounds like what I will do. It would be nice to be able to install/remove the clutch/flywheel if needed while it is on the stand, and yes, I wanted to portability of the heavy duty stand and the ability to use it for other engines. Thanks for the information.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Cross