How rare/what is this? (External Oil filter, 40hp)

Ok, I bought this 40hp motor locally, was an external I guess I would call it an "Okrasa" style external filter included with it.

The path of the flow I'm guessing is from this rather odd oil sending unit, through the filter, then through a hollow bolt attaching the generator stand (driver's rear bolt). Hoses were hacked prior to removal, but I actually found a place to get them rebuilt. Anyone here ever seen such an animal?

Reply to
ekoman

Sounds interesting.

Can you post a link to a picture?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I use them.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

............That sounds interesting. It must have been a partial bypass filtration system that robbed a small amount of the oil pump's output and then returned it directly to the sump. A modern full-flow configuration would be much better but it's interesting that this partial bypass filtration was once commonly used(?).

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Ya really worry me Tim - talking shop after work.

Reply to
jjs

..............heh heh............You don't miss anything, do you?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Where do you get them??

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Dan, click on below to see some pictures I took today. I use the old Franz bypass system which was like the fram system developed for vw's in the 50's but uses tp rolls instead of cardboard filters. This unit is from the late 60's. I have several of them including a rare chrome unit which I will install on my Puma this spring. If you want to get one, cruise e-bay or get a new one from walker enterprises. I will find their e-mail addy if you want it. They work well and are easy to use. Dennis

href="
">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Yeah, that's almost exactly what mine is, only mine looks more factory than that (the oil sender is only one piece, for example, and the return hose connects directly to a hollow bolt right where yours is). Thanks.

Now that you mention it, a TP roll would fit perfectly into the thing I have. And here I was worried about getting filters. Single or double ply? :)

Reply to
ekoman

Dan, I use the cheap stuff. There should be a retainer ring in there also. It is a good set up and new costs quite a bit so use it. It should hold I qt of oil. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik