Looking For Doghouse Shroud Heat Caps, Tin Plugs

Does anyone know where I can find some caps to cover the heat outlets on my 1971 Super Beetle Doghouse fan shroud? Also some plugs for the heater hose holes in the rear tin? Please send me an email if you have some to sell or know of a place. I'd love to find a doghouse fan shroud without heat for a reasonable price shipped under $50. Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew

I bought caps for this purpose years ago from a VW parts house. Check aircooled.net, John probably has them. Alternatively, you could use some sheet metal. Cut it larger than the opening, round it off as best as you can with a tin snip, and then cut in towards the center around the piece to make it easy to bend and fit around the opening, then secure it with a hose clamp. If you look at some of the hardware used for residential ductwork, where an outlet is attached to a distribution box, you'll see what I mean about the inward cuts and the little 'fingers' that you can bend inward/outward as needed to keep the piece in place.

Covering the holes in the rear breast tin is easily accomplished with some sheet metal and a couple machine screws with matching lockwashers and nuts. I cut four square pieces of tin large enough to cover the holes, then made them 'round' as best I could with the tin snips and a grinder, and then drilled a hole through the middle so I could sandwich the two pieces together, one on either side of the tin. The screw/nut just holds them together. Once you have it together give the whole thing a coat of black paint and it will look almost factory, and keep the thing from leaking hot air back into the engine compartment.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

home depot has rubber drain plugs that have a nut you tighten and it expands to fit the hole, you could see if there is one to fit the hole . they come in a variety of sizes. Dave

Reply to
David

Hey, if you are going to going to cap off the fanshroud heat outlets, make sure that you have replaced the heat exchangers with J-tubes.

-GE

Reply to
geoffers

The bottom of an aluminum drink/beer/soda/whatever can works pretty well for covering those holes in the rear breast tin. Like in this picture:

Scott H

soup cans too!

for the shroud go to the auto parts store and buy the expandable rubber freeze plugs OR just plain old freeze plugs (2" IIRC) maybe a little rtv (or something like it) and a tap with a hammer and they are on. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro