My carbs are barking!

I have a 1776 w/ dual Kadrons, 009& Pertronics ignition ... at

3000-3200 RPM's the carbs bacfire, especially when cold. It is not a major backfire, however the engine seems to be starving for gas. If I push down on the accelerator and get above this RPM range it stops. Any suggestions where to start?
Reply to
Paul

Paul, What you are describing is pretty much a standard condition with Kadrons and an 009 distributer. A cold engine is an automatic lean condition. Fuel(gas) will condense out of the fuel/air mix and cling to the sides of the manifolds creating a lean condition. Questions, first. Are you using aluminum or steel manifolds? Aluminum manifolds will transfer heat fron the cylinder heads to them selves quicker than steel and give you a better mixture; remember the heat risers on a stock carb manifold? Are the carbs in good shape? Are the throttle shafts tight in the bushings? An air leak here will also give a lean condition. The 009 diizzy is also advancing too fast to give you a good burn. Contact me (off NG), John C at aircooled.net, or A.J. Sims at lowbugget.com to drill one of your carbs for a vacuum port and use a SVDA(single vacuum dual advance) dizzy. In the meantime, do what I do; keep your foot out of it untill it warms up.

El Paso Bob

71 1776 Baja w/dual Kads and vac dizzy 21.9 MPG around town
Reply to
The Joneses