OT.computer help

hi all, hoping someone might be able to help me out i ha ve acomputer withxp home edition(i know most people say get rid of it,but it has been working fine) just the last day or so i seem to have a problem with my computer with the fonts i think. i will go to a webpage say cal look forum and the question is very large font (it has definatly changed) and the answers are the same size.not all websites are like this but it seems certain texts are large on a page and part of the page is not,i am up to date on my virus protection and i'm at a loss as to why this is happening. i have another computer that see's the same website just fine. any ideas at all thanks troubled russ

Reply to
Russ

your problem is how your web rowswer sees the fonst on web pages if you're using internet exploerer you need to go to: the view menu and go down to "test size" adjust accordingly

Scott M. Toothman -

A Pink Floyd Fan

In IE, go to the View menu, Text Size, Medium. As per the photo:

Alternatively, you can hold down SHIFT and scroll with the scrollwheel on your mouse.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Sorry, meant Ctrl. Shift+Scroll goes backwards/fowards in your web browsing history.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Or better yet, go to Mozilla.org and start using Firefox as your browser. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Downloaded Firefox last week (it's free). Flawless! No pop-up ads, secure, easy browsing. Best of all, my Netscrape bookmarks import directly.

This is posted with Xana News (free) newsreader. Also lots of nice features.

Break the Billy Gates habit today!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I totally agree with Speedy, and you can also replace Microsoft Outlook with something more secure called ThunderBird. It does not have the same problems MS has and is much more secure.

Firefox also supports some great extensions and themes.

"Speedy Jim" wrote:

Reply to
Jim

U?ytkownik Jim napisa?:

You can try Mozilla... and you should try Mandrakelinux!!

Reply to
Krzysztof Radzikowski

Next, if you decide you have to run windoze (I still do. *blush*), at least go to ctrl panel, networks, then remove all protocols except IP from your adapter bindings. You don't need all of that netbios crap anyway. Trust me. ;-) IP is like aircooled. netbios is like watercooled. :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

Or download Opera, free with ad banner, not very expensive to buy either..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Shaggie.

When I hit "Configure" for my fast Ethernet adapter, then "Advanced" I have the following settings (Win 2000):

Adaptive Interrupt: Enabled Connection Type: Auto-Negotiation Flow Control: Hardware Default (Auto) Network Address: Not Present Receive Buffers: 64 Transmit Buffers: 64

Would you recomend any changes?

Tanx in advance.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Reply to
Russ

I have no problems with Outlook Express with XPSP2.

Reply to
Howard Rose

I don't understand Opera .. why put up with ad banners for free or even have to buy a web browser when Mozilla Firefox has it all and it's open source to boot!

bug

Reply to
A Pink Floyd Fan

No, I wouldn't change it. Mine looks nothing like that in win2k, but mine's a different adapter with different driver. Tweaking your

10/100 adapter to try to squeeze a little more out of it won't make a difference in speed for any of your online stuff anyway since the bottleneck will be your connection to the internet, not your 10/100 adapter. I don't mess with the client stuff with my job much at all, normally stick to the big switches. Working on a project right now (that I can talk about since it's already installed on multiple customer sites) called CSG (content service gateway) that lets users define content types for deep packet inspection for...billing. That's right, next time y'all watch a little video or something like that on your cell phone and get a bill for it... If it overcharges you then I wasn't responsible for testing that portion of the code. ;-)
Reply to
Shaggie

I would highly recommend to download "HijackThis" and learn to use it in scanning for bad stuff infecting your computer. It takes a little research to learn how to use it, but I find it helps kill virtually ALL the garbage other "anti-spy" progams may miss. However, USE CAUTION because it's very powerful and could make your system malfunction if used improperly.

Deb 71 SB

Reply to
Debra Chervenka

I would reccomend: Spybot Search & Destroy - no research needed totally FREE and EFFECTIVE. I use it on all my computers and hasn't cause a problem yet - simply use it like an anti-virurs application the link is below

I would highly recommend to download "HijackThis" and learn to use it in

Reply to
A Pink Floyd Fan

I use Spybot and Ad-Aware for the same purpose, Spybot doesn't recognize everything that Ad-Aware does, and vice versa.

in addition to that I have an antivirus program (AntiVir) and a software firewall (ZoneAlarm).

All are 100% free and do their job pretty well.

Jan

A P>

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:02:14 +0300, Jan Andersson scribbled this interesting note:

But has Spybot been updated yet? Last time I checked it had been months and months since the last update!:~(

John Willis

You're supposed to run the program's internal updater. They don't update the main program that often but they do the updates all the time.

FWIW, I generally boot a system with my PE disc

and run F-Prot, Norton and McAfee on theclient's machine. Then I boot into the machine in safe mode if possibleand run Ad-Aware and Spybot. Finally to check for home page hijackers andBHOs, I run HijackThis
Then I scold the user not to click on popups or install freebies. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil