Preheat tubes

Didnt get any help on the Samba forums, so ill ask here as well

Ok,I have a 1776 w/a weber DFEV carb, do i need the little preheater pipes that goto the exhaust? i currently am doing a bodyoff on my 69' and ive gotten to the engine, the exhaust i have has no preheater attachments on it, i really like how it looks..should i drill it and weld on some flanges?

Reply to
Exille

If you only drive the car in the summer, you might get away without them. But in the winter you will have problems with carb icing. It would be better to use them, but the choice is yours.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Centermounted single carb? YES you need teh preheat tubes, ALWAYS. Just take my word for it.

It will "run" without, but never *well* or *right*.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:08:37 GMT, "Exille" ran around screaming and yelling:

not being "smartass" but you only need the preheat system if you want to drive the car....especially in temps below 55(f)....you will have a larger than stock engine pulling alot of air and fuel through the intake especially at highway speeds....this means alot of cooling from just the intake charge with *will* result in carb icing....been there, done that...got the "hotbox"(homemade) to prove it... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

........as others stated you do need manifold heat onm a center mount cartb. which leaves you several choices:

1) get an exhaust wi9th prehest tubes....but I must warn ya that they only work marginally to poorly at directing the flow on any aftermarket exhaust I have seen or used. The problem being that they pull both sides from a high pressure arewa...thus no flow. 2) get a 12volt electric manifold heater fromm mthe company in englend that sells em....I have not used one yet...but was really wishing I had one several times this winter when I was sitting on the edge of the road defrosting my carb even with a clean stock manifold and a crappy aftermarket exhaust (see above about flow on aftermarket exhaust) 3) Ditch the centermount.....go duals for better performace, better looks....better mileage...less headaches....and never look back.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

As others mentioned, you need the manifold heat.

BUT......the fix for the carb icing problem is to supply heated AIR to the carb intake. Heat from the manifold will do surprisingly little to heat up the carb throat.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I have a question about the preheat tubes also. I got a set with this new motor with the single 2b weber on it, and I can not see anyplace to attach them to by/on the carb???????

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik EK III & Thumper Ride w/me all that groks is god BS# 139 DOF# 69

Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Got a picture? Is it like this?

jjs

No Picture. I don't think it looks like that, but I will check when I get home from work.

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Reply to
ilambert

Looks almost exactly like that John. Except the manifold is stamped with the Empi Logo. I looked uber the manifold and found the 2 insertion ports for the tubes. Are they just pressfit? Do I need to actually drill thru the pipes at the flange to get then to work? Is there a chance for exhaust leaks?

to John Connolly.....Do you have the SVDA for this carb?