Preheater snorkel vacuum actuated flap

Hi all,

I'm putting things together for the first time out this spring. I've recently acquired the snorkel end of the air filter housing (eBay) because 1) the PO through the original away, and 2) my beetle runs like h#@ll on those cold mornings.

My question is this: How much vacuum should it take to activate the warm air bypass flap? I mean, I can suck on the vacuum advance hose and move the distributor plates, but I can suck 'til my eye's bulge on the flap vac' hose and nothing happens. Pushing the flap from below shows it to be moveable. Can the vacuum chamber be serviced ?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Michael Zeeb

You need full manifold vacuum; your lungs won't cut it:-)

I've never seen a bad diaphragm on these, but I have seen the linkage or hinges inside get bunged up. If you have vacuum routed thru the thermostatic valve on top, be sure it is actually opening.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim