Q- Oil cooler ring gaskets

Are the gaskets supposed to be wide enogh to completely fill the recesses milled into block or are they narrower?

Reason I ask is my engine's been leaking oil & the most likely suspect is the cooler. I pulled it off today & found what look like a couple of pieces of rubber hose a lot narrower than the recesses that have definately been sitting in the bore holes on an angle.

So before I go see the last "professional" "mechanic" to work on it I want to know if this is going to be justifiable homicide.

Thanks,

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

There are at least three different types/design of seals being used. Make sure you have the right seals to fit your adapter(Oil cooler base) and block. Iirc two types are for two stock applications(different years(doghouse non-doghouse?)) whilst the third type/design are for a combo of the two different models.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

O.K., just so I'm *absolutely* clear on this before I go diss-member this guy with extreme prejudice, this isn't and in no legally definable way can be considered right-

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Well, that's a trick question :)

Very early engines did indeed use a seal with straight sides, like shown in your pic.

You'll have to match up your engine with the descriptions in the links.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Replacement block installed about four-five years ago, 1600, no serial number on it.

I'm guessing it shouldn't be using the straight style seals.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Does it have the dog house type of fan shroud?

Does it have the later model dog house oil cooler or does it have the earlier skyscraper looking oil cooler with the conversion oil cooler seals?

The dog house oil cooler uses different seals than the non dog house oil cooler does.

Hope these links help.

Jim Ed

It's not a dog-house type, it appears to be a later style 10 mm "tower" on an 8 mm (actually the holes measure 9 mm- go figure) case.

I've ordered a set of all three styles of seal that might apply just to keep my options open.

The "seals" that were in there certainly were not correct at any rate, they don't even appear to match the dimensions of the early "straight" seals. I'm convinced he just used a couple of pieces of rubber tube. :(

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Let us know how it goes.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

O.K. folks- I've finally got the oil cooler back on the block. The "white" 8-10 mm adapter seals were what was required with the 10 mm side towards the block and the 8 mm towards the cooler, although the cooler holes are 10 mm and the clock passages are 8 mm, but thats the way the seals fit the block and cooler depressions. :/

Theres no way in hell the the "seals" the mechanic put in were right, they didn't even match up with the 8 mm side of the adapter seals, I'm certain he just used a couple of pieces of rubber hose.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer