Rarity of Heatransfer airconditioning ?

I scored a 70 beetle with a Heatransfer air-conditioner manufactured in San Antonio TX. in the back. Its missing hoses, compressor and mount bracket. All I can find on the internet is that Heatransfer sued VW for anti trust and won. They must have retired with their winnings. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is this valuable to people that truly RESTORE VWs ? Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

I recently decided to put A/C in my ride. Did a little research and found the following links helpful in understanding a bit of the history of aircooled A/C, although both refer to Porsche:

I actually found a VPC unit in a junkyard 71SB (the compressor was missing). I paid $50 for anything I wanted of the system, but I only took the evaporator (under dash venting) and the condenser(behind the front apron grill). BTW, the original system used a piston type compressor, which placed a heavy load on the engine. The newer designs are "rotary" compressors, which are much more efficient. I am lucky that one of the major companies in retrofitting your VW with A/C is located here in San Diego:

I am going to take a "mixed" route; using the original VPC evaporator, but replacing all the hoses, dryer, compressor and condensers(there are 2 in the new system). I just don't trust 33 year old rubber and moving parts. I haven't bought the parts yet, but the folks at I.C.E. were kind enough to give me a copy of the installation instruction package ahead of time for my review. This includes the all important wiring diagrams. Ofcourse, the new compressor from I.C.E. comes with a mounting bracket and double pully.

Deb 71SB

Reply to
Debra Chervenka