Re: Fuel delivery problems

> I am having a problem where my Ghia runs fine as long as I am goin down the > road. As soon as I stop and let the car idle, it acts like it's running out > of gas and stalls. I think the problem is with the fuel pump not able to > keep a consistent fuel pressure. I am running dual Kadrons. I am thinking > of adding a fuel pressure regulator and upping the pressure of my pump and > regulating it down. It seems that the problem gets worse as the engine dies > due to the fact that the fuel pump is run by the engine and when the engine > slows down so does the fuel flow. I need to be able to keep the fuel > flowing even when the engine is running slow. > > My first thoughts are to mill a little off the fuel pump flange and increase > the fuel pressure from my stock pump and regulate it down with a fuel > pressure regulator. > > My next step is to install an electric fuel pump. This would insure > constant flow of fuel and be independent of the engine speed. > > My question is: Are these Facet fuel pumps that you install at the engine > any good? They install with a bracket at the original pump location. This > seems to be the simplest way to install an electric fuel pump. If not, > what would be the best combination of electric fuel pump and regulator to > install at the tank. I've seen universal pumps at the local Autozone for 35 > bucks. They flow up to 9 PSI. I have one those chrome EMPI fuel regulators > with the adjustment knob on the top. > > Any help would be appreciated. > > Brian Turner > snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE.centurytel.net

It is just possible that you are flogging the wrong horse.

IMHO it is highly unlikely that the pump stops delivering enough fuel at idle but is capable enough at road speeds.

In my experience (not with Kadrons specifically) minor flooding at idle is more likely.

Here is one test: Pipe the fuel pump outlet into a gas container. You can just disconnect it from the carbs or put a TEE in the line. Run the engine at idle and see how much fuel the pump produces. The carbs will only need a half thimble-full per second at idle, so if there is more than that the pump is OK.

Check this out before you invest a lot of time and effort.

A pressure regulator *might* actually help if the minor flooding is being caused by *excess* fuel pressure due to thermal expansion. This happens in the summer with hot engine bays; the fuel in the pump and lines expands and forces the carb needle valve(s) opoen.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Anything that I can think of that would fail in a mechanical pump would be worse at road speed than at idle. I'm thinking you're mis-diagnosing - sometimes over-rich acts a lot like too lean until you really think it through. We've all been fooled. Before you do any changes, find out for sure what's happening. There have been cases where a large piece of scale in the gas tank has covered the outlet in certain accel / decel or right turn / left turn situations.

I'm pretty certain that a lack of flow at idle is going to mean a serious shortage at driving speed if it's the pump.

am goin down the

like it's running out

pump not able to

Kadrons. I am thinking