Re: GEX engines

I'm gong to be buying a turnkey from somewhere (I don't have the time to

> rebuild my 'spare' and my primary engine is now beyond saving). I want a > dual port, dual relief case, doghouse cooler, etc. >=20 > I checked with John C., he doesn't have 'em. So, next I looked through H= ot > VWs (what a second...someone's at my door. What? You're from VWoA?! ;-) > Every issue I see big color adds for GEX. What are some peoples' experie= nce > with GEX engines. >=20 > Also, I'm tempted to buy one from BeetleMex, but don't know anything abou= t > them. When I called them, the phone took about 30 seconds to ring...I th= ink > it routed itself to Mexico, not Arizona like their address says! Anyway, > BeetleMex's engines don't come with an air cleaner. I'm wondering "Why t= he > heck not?" When I asked the guy on the phone, he couldn't give me a good > answer. >=20 > Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions? I want to order it soon! > I'm dying to get back on the road. >=20 > Tim Wallace

Just thought I would Add, GEX engine with less than 2200 miles on it locked= up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation but= was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wanting= to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from siezed= crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and advanced= level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zero Co= mback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.

Reply to
oldblue1960

ed up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation b= ut was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wanti= ng to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from siez= ed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and advanc= ed level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zero = Comback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.

I'm sorry ... "coolant level"?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

miles on it

on

engines.

melted

Installed by

technician with

rebuilds,

Helium baloon. Measures level of available cooling air ;)

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

Do not ever touch a GEX engine, there is a same style operator in Europe:

. Fancy videos, absolute s**te for quality, it is a clean, paint and mismatch operation only. They will use old parts where they claim to be using new. They show a lot of micron metering/measuring, absolutely BULLOCKS!!

Stay away.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

[...]

A company named ATK had a good reputation for re-manufacturing VW engines here in the US, at least they did two decades ago. I was impressed with the steps ATK took in re-manufacturing their engines when I read a brochure I picked up at their North American headquarters in southern California. In 2007 VEGE bought ATK from the founding family. Maybe VEGE doesn't care about their products like ATK did.

At any rate, ATK/VEGE doesn't sell many air cooled engines anymore. What they offer is on page 264 of this catalog:

Randall

Reply to
Randall

A fellow in my local VW group has a very extensive facility wherein he rebuilds VW engines, machines and balances everything (even the rods), and produces some amazing results. I am planning to have him rebuild one of my cars' 40 HP motors as soon as I save up my pennies. ;)

KWW '65 Beetle, The > >>

KWW

e:

cked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation= but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wan= ting to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from si= ezed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and adva= nced level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zer= o Comback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.

Water box engine, 1.9 vanagon.....has coolant.

Reply to
oldblue1960

They agreed to rebuild the engine, but we had to pay shipping both ways,. A nyway, engine arrived with leak, investigation proved that the drain plug w as just stuck in the hole and would not tighten down, stripped threads. The answer from GEX was" We would not ship you an engine with a stripped drain plug" so I guess this must have been shipped from someone else....man they suck.

Reply to
oldblue1960

e:

cked up, oil level and coolant level good. engine was tight on installation but was told by GEX that was "normal" with their engines. They are not wan ting to honor warranty because heat tab melted (positioned 3 inches from si ezed crankshft!!) so no -duh! Installed by Master engine machinist and adva nced level master ASE technician with over 30 years VW experience and a Zer o Comback Record on HIS rebuilds, customer supplied this engine.

1.9 wasserboxer in 1985 Vanagon....water/coolant is used .
Reply to
oldblue1960