Rebuilding Type IV, what to expect?

Heya all, I posted a while back about when VW used the Type IV. Now I've obtained a fried T4 from a '77 Bus for no cost. I hope to rebuild and convert it for use in my '73 baja. Word has it that the engine went out after the owner's daughter pulled "The Grapevine," a hairy grade here in California in third gear. Pending the actual delivery of the engine, I've yet been able to take a look to see if there is anything as obvious or as simple as a broken valve spring or such. I've never rebuilt an engine, but am pretty mechanically apt anough to follow directions and use common sense when working on something new. Where should I start with this engine? If the gal lugged the engine up the hill, I would assume the engine went out due to overheating problems. What should I assume went wrong with this engine? I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks, Wes

Reply to
Wes

Plan on new/rebuilt heads at a minimum. I would want to know the condition of the crank and cam before I invested a dime. Buy the Bentley Official Manual for Buses '68 - 79. or the Haynes 1700/1800/2000.

Some links with Type 4 info:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

...assume nothing. =-) Likely fried the cylinders and/or dropped the seats in the heads. Overheating, however, can cause a myriad of problems depending on the level of heat obtained. Disassemle completely and start speccing out parts...then and only then will you know where you stand, and what would need to be purchased,. Look into the Bug-me video on type 4 engine rebuilds

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

ilambert

Do a compression check - if low in a cylinder or 2 then suspect a dropped valve seat or broken valve.

Reply to
Wolfgang