When were Type IV's in Buses?

Pretty self-explanatory. I have a lead on a non-running Bus engine and was wondering when Volkswagen put the Type IV engine in the buses. Is there a sure and fast way to tell if it is a Type IV? I've just started looking into getting one of these into my '73 baja. Also, like I say, it's in a Baja, so cutting isn't so much a concern with me. Is it ok to keep the engine suitcased? Or better to convert it to an upright? Thanks, Wes

'73 Baja (It's come a long way from being a white-trash lawn ornament and litter box.)

Reply to
Wes

72 was the first year US market

its flat across the top getting the name pancake engine.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

'72 up - Has an oil filter from the factory and the exhaust/heat exchanger come out of the bottom of the engine vice the ends.

Reply to
Wolfgang

You don't have to cut anything if you go upright. The only problem with staying stock t-4 pancake cooling is it is much longer and the engine weights more. That weight will need a rear hanger, not a good combo for a banging around Baja. A converted to an upright T-4 weights only 25 lbs more then a T-1. So you just bolt it up and go. As for trying to tell a stock T-4 from a T-1 is very easy. T-4's in buses were only made in the pancake style. So if you see a bug engine in a bus it is not a T-4. Also the oil filter is hanging out on the drivers side of the engine. Right off it can be a 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0. Tje 2.0 is a stroker so for a baja it would be great off road. Not that the 1.7 is a dog. One of my friends has a stock 1.7 T-4 in his bug and his son has a 2.0 T-1. The 1.7 is as fast as the 2.0 and the

1.7 runs at higher speeds and cooler. Joe
Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa