Relocate distributor condenser

Although I like the timing curve on the new SVDA -- which I recently installed -- this distributor has been eating the condensers on a too frequent basis. Possibly because the SVDA appears to be using the condenser as a heat sink. (BTW: Possible engine over-heating issues were previously addressed).

As a test I thought I would relocate the condenser away from the usual location on the side of the distributor. Any reason I cannot solder ~6" (15cm) of wire and move it? Does the condenser require grounding?

Thanks.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

Perfectly acceptable. You could make the connection right on the Coil (-) terminal.

Yes, it needs to be grounded. The mounting screw for the condensor bracket will take care of that. Maybe screw it to the fan housing? For an extra measure, run a Ground wire from the mounting screw to the engine case...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for answering that. As I have had the same problem. The SVDA on my stock 1600 engine seems to be going through condensers at an unusually fast pace. I popped open the deck lid to check the heat from the distributor after a run home for lunch. Maybe it is a difference in distributor casting, but the SVDA seems to be much hotter than I recall with either the stock distributor or even with the 009.

This evening I am relocating that condenser.

Reply to
Postman's Holiday

yes, heat is the enemy of condensers. I always lost them in the summer. Moved mine to the manifold.

Reply to
Crusader george

Terrific. Thanks much for providing me with the answer. Although I believe I may need to follow-up on the suggestion of Mr. Hoover and investigate the distributor drive-pinion.

Speedy Jim, again my thanks.

-LK

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

Why not get a Pertronix drop in ignition and do away with the condensor?

Reply to
Jim347a

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I went back to points / condenser in order for the CDI system to work properly.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

Which CDI system?

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I run a Pertronix with my Tiger CDI, works fine..

J.

Reply to
Berg

It is a Universal CDI. The engine would not run with the CDI connected, but would when returned to stock. Universal checked the CDI unit and could find nothing wrong. Their tech person suggested that I go back to points/condenser. And since then it has worked fine (an operational CDI on our trusty four bangers makes a noticable difference).

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

Mine is also made by Universial industries, bought from

, and it works fine with the Pertronix module. And yes, it has a very noticeable effect, specially on startups.

J.

Reply to
Berg

Can you use a MSD ignition with a breaker points dizzy? I have a MSD ignition I bought for another project car that I ended up selling before it was finished.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Very possibly. What specific MSD ignition do you have? And do you have the wiring diagram?

Reply to
Postman's Holiday

I have a MSD 6A and I can't find the instructions. I need to contact MSD for replacement instructions. I originally was going to use it on a Z-car but I sold it last year.

It will trigger off a magnetic pickup distributor and I was considering picking up one of the compatible Toyota distributors and trading with a friend to get the modifications done. Right now I'm running a crappy

009 and I can hardly wait to swap it out but I've spent to much on other stuff to buy something else at the moment.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

You may find the information you need at:

The information suggests that the MSD 6A should work.

Reply to
Postman's Holiday