remove fuel tank deposits

Hello,

Can somebody tell me how I can remove (disolve) the black crusty deposits in my 1955 Oval fuel tank? I have removed manualy already 1.3kg!!! Now there is still a lot in the tank (some of it sticks to the surface). I've tried to disolve the rest using thinner, methylalcohol, kitchen degreaser, parcodine (rustremover), HG rustremover, bio-degreaser, Decarouille (product for loosen rusty bolts) ..... but with no luck. I am planning to fill the tank with nuts and bolts, and shake the tank to remove the hard deposits, but I think if I do it with something to disolve the deposits, it might work better. Does somebody can give me advice???

Merry Christmas, Thanks and greets, Davy

1955 Oval 1967 split Single Cab 1969 1300 Beetle
Reply to
Dave Coeman

We have a product here called Berrymann's Carburator ChemDip... Its a solvent to soak parts in, and usually will liquefy anything that isn't metal.

Reply to
ph4tcharlie

Lacquer thinner works well to disolve most fuel related deposits. It has the added benefit of not leaving any residue of its own once dry.

I have used 1/2" to 3/4" gravel with agitation to remove scale and rust with good results. Just make sure to wash out and vent the tank completely BEFORE you attempt to clean the inside with gravel or nuts and bolts. As you can imagine, there is a considerable amount of friction and with nuts and bolts a fair chance of generating a spark. Volatile fumes and sparks are a nasty mix in a confined space.

Tim

Dave Coeman wrote:

Reply to
The Guy

Have it sand blasted or glass beaded on the inside befory applying "tank restorer".

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Thanks for the advice, Greets Davy