Removing rear gear rod splitty

Ok, is it possible to replace the rear shift rod on a 64 splitty without removing the engine and transmission? i.e. will it come out from the front, at the moment the handbrake bracket is in the way, but I wondered if removing it would be in vain.

TIA

-Steve

----------------------------------- dubberware - personalise your ride!

snipped-for-privacy@dubberware.co.uk

Reply to
Phatman

a buddy of mine neatly cut a hole in the front. can't remember if he was planning on welding in a new piece later, was going to make a cover for it and try to make it look like vw intended on it being there, or what ever, but he was able to remove it all without dropping the tranny. if you go this route, a little creative engineering would make a nifty removable cover, plug or whatever, for later repairs.

good luck. bob

Reply to
bob

Thanks Bob. Well, the new gear linkage is installed :-) We raised the front of the van about 2 1/2 feet in the air and removed the front bumper, somehow this enabled me to shuffle the rear gear rod out of the tunnel. The new rod is thicker than the old one but with a bit of grease and persuasion (flexing!) it went in. Once in we lined up the peg holes at the rear and installed the front rod from the rear with a new bushing attached. Result is a really good gear change. I wondered about making a hatch like the beetle too.

--Steve

bob wrote:

Reply to
Phatman