single stage versus 2 stage paint

I've finally scrounged up 5 stock steel rims for my oval. I need to prep them, but was wondering "if" there were any advantages to 2 stage paint. My thinking is that there really can't be much (other than environmental), since single stage has the hardener included. It seems single stage would be easier to use on the rims, since the rims have some nooks & crannies that would make sanding a bit of a pain. Any thoughts? Think I could do this with a rattle can of color matched paint? Thanks. - Darren

Reply to
DB

Using SS paint will work great but using normal rattle can paint is not that good.

Reply to
Gary H

DB You can do what you want but dont use off the shelf paint from Wal-Mart. There is such a thing as high quality automotive paint that can be custom mixed and put into a spray can but you are talking about $25 a can but well worth it in my opinion. The best place I know of is

-George

DB wrote:

Reply to
still in primer

The 2 stage paints that I have used have a base coat that is high solids content so it is high fill and can hide many small imperfections. You can also color sand in between coats. The clear is tough to get right - guarantee the first time you shoot it the stuff will run off onto the floor :)

I just had a set of four wheels blasted and powder coated for $18 per rim. I did have to wait for a 'gray day' where the shop was shooting gray - about 10 days. They shoot black daily but colors only when they have enough to fill the oven. Big fan of powder coat - that stuff is about bulletproof.

knt

DB wrote:

Reply to
knt

Thanks. I think I am going to attempt to do the powder coating myself. I've been prowling the local thrift stores to see if I can pick up an oven for $25. But if I can get somebody at less than $20 a rim, I might just as well have them do it. Irrespective, I think I will go the single stage way, as I actually sprayed a couple of times years ago and I guess I am just too lazy to deal with the clearcoat & sanding issue (maybe a little scared too). - DB

Reply to
DB