So.... engine fire.

A couple of weeks ago, my old '74 Super Beetle decided she hadn't had enough attention lately and caught fire at a traffic light.

Got the fire put out, got the car towed back, now all I have to do is replace all of those wires and tubes in the engine compartment.

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a premade harness by mail order (yes, there's someone actually making them for the 74 Supers now), or just go ahead and do a from-scratch loom by hand. The harness would probably be a lot easier, but the homemade one would cost about a hundred bucks less.

Any suggestions?

Or, more to the point, any tips on where to get connectors for the various important parts (generator, etc)?

Reply to
Chad Irby

Don't have advice, just glad you're ok. (and that your car is not "beyond return")

:-)

BM

Reply to
BratscheMan

Make your own. There aren't that many wires and the splices can all be made under the back seat.

One problem may be getting new wires past the foamed-in insulation above the left rear wheel well. Oh.....maybe the fire burned it all out!

Any auto parts store will have all the connectors you need, plus a good crimping tool. And loads of wire too.

Was the Alternator maybe damaged ('74 didn't have Gen) ? Coil? Carb elec parts?

Get a diagram of the car here:

most accurate one will be:1974 1303 USA de Y It can be hard to follow because of the linear layout.

Look on my web site for details of the Alternator wiring and also the color coding of the rear tail light wiring.

E-mail works if you get stuck.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Supposedly, you can get one from California Import Parts:

"C17-WM-131-1974 - MAIN WIRING HARNESS FROM ENGINE COMPART TO FUSE BOX - SUPER BEETLE & CONVERTIBLE 1974"

Phone-in/Mailorder Price US $157.45 Website Discount Price US $149.95

I'm told there are others out there now, also.

Reply to
Chad Irby

Hmmm. Yeah, seems pretty simple, now that you mention it. I was thinking I needed to pull from the dashboard.

It did...

I have a local supplier who has the right color coded wire types, and most of the other gear is already on hand.

Alternator looks okay - it was mostly a carb/gas/rubber fire. I'll swap that out if it doesn't work. The carb needs a full rebuild, too.

Thanks - one of the things I'm planning with the "self repair" method is to make a whole new diagram based off of a scan of the "official" diagram I got a couple of years back. Hacking out the self-test wires, leaving off the seat belt interlocks (those are already bypassed on this particular car), et cetera.

Reply to
Chad Irby

You can splice in the part of the wiring harness from a parts car, on a

74 I would spice from under the back seat and use spice conecters and shrink wrap, found at any auto parts store. This would be a great time to get the foam out of the rear quarter area. Good reminder time to CHECK YOU FUEL LINES!!

Mario Vintage Werks Restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

Hi! You might be able to get an engine compartment wiring harness or just the main harness from aircooled.net.

If you need the big engine compartment seal, I think you can still get a German seal at oeveedub.com.

What caused the fire? Was it from a missing rubber firewall grommet that the metal fuel line passes through that might have made a hole in the fuel line?

You might want to pull the engine. Paint the engine compartment semi gloss black. Give it a new engine compartment seal and an engine compartment wiring harness.

Reply to
Jim347a

Naah - from the looks of things, it was just a hose that came loose.

Reply to
Chad Irby

I always put clamps on my hoses.

Reply to
Jim347a

For simplicity's sake, I would suggest getting a new harness from Wolfsburg West. They are based out of California and I have had nothing but good experiences with them over the past 6 years (and $6000 in parts) of my '66 restoration. Many of their parts are made in-house and are vastly superior to those you might find in a local bug shop. It looks like their '74 main harness is $142

The website for their harnesses is:

Tony

Reply to
JonasBone