Speedy Jim Question (or any other smart one)-- Idiot Lights

Howdy.

I'll admit it... I've been driving for about 300 miles on a new project car without idiot lights. Since this one is a baja we have WIDE options on ways to modify it.

Situation==== This car has oil/voltage senders without lights.

Current Knowledge==== VW senders break or connect ground

Desired Outcome==== I'd like to look in my rear view mirror to see the gen/oil lights.

Question==== Since all this business is in the rear of my car... can I use the following circuit.

12volt hot ->5amp Fuse->Light Sender -> Light.

Double Check Question==== Does the Regulator sender send positive or negative?

I know I know... take out some alligator clips and check it out... Better yet take out a volt meter and start analyizing.

Thought someone smarter would have a speedy answer.

Thanks.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Yes, your scheme will work. The Gen Reg sends Pos 12V when the Gen is charging. It sends ground (Neg 12V) when not charging.

How about modifying the rearview mirror itself to accept 2 tiny LED's? There is probably less chance of the sun shining on them than in the rear window.

Also, see my web site for ideas on adding audible alarms to the lights.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Speedy....

Your audible alarm is already in the plan.

The thought was to mount the warning lights below the rear window. I noticed on one of my cars, that when something goes wrong, the rear view window is the first look out of the car. The windows are tinted so being able to see them shouldn't be a problem -- very smart observation.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

Harh! And just in time for the first Snow! :) (Hey, if you are running an alternator without a 'gen' light, it's not charging. Dress warm!)

Reply to
jjs

How about run your ignition system through a relay controlled by oil pressure, no pressure, no run, no need for a light.

Reply to
Douglas

Ok, dumb idea, too many beers.

Reply to
Douglas

.............Actually, that might work but you'd have to include a another bypass wire to the coil from the one that goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid or it wouldn't start.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Great ideas.... I'm just looking for a quick and easy way to get some lights in the car...

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead