the exhaust doesn't fit

Isn't that the gap that those inch and half wide clamp thingees were for?

Reply to
Oldbie

No - if that were the case, he wouldn't be able to bolt it easily to the heads.

Reply to
Oldbie

I changed the exhaust this morning, and after I bolted it to the cylinders, I tried to connect it to the heaters but there was a gap of about 0.5 inch, and both sides weren't aligned. Is this a normal problem when installing exhausts? is the solution to push it until they fit? I'm talking about an stock 1600cc engine. What happens if I leave it as it is now? (just curious) Would a soft bendable pipe with two clamps on each side work?

I don't consider the possibility proposed to Bob Ullet by Dave a few messages ago since I don't live in the States.

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

Dunno, the old exhaust didn't have them, it would connect directly to the heater.

Oldbie wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Maybee you got an exhaust for a 1200 engine. - The 1300 /1600 are widther....i think....

Reply to
BS

A General Rule Of Thumb with exhaust work, is that you do not tighten down anything until everything is attached loosely. Then you slowly and evenly secure the fasteners. To Specified Torque Of Course. Colin

Reply to
Colin

Man thats the truth! and its not just with VW exhausts either thats with prefabbed units in general. My HKS system I got for my Starion didn't even come close and of course the last three systems I have put on the V-dubs have all needed "creative tweaking". Try a installing a merged setup, I had to use a ratchet strap and a tree to make that one go together! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro