the Sliding steel sunroof

Any body know anything a bout these? websites or whatever, The one in this car I just bought works fine, but the seals are gone and just because it hasn't rained lately doesn't mean it doesn't leak. any resources anybody has would be appreciated. thanks.

Reply to
Cletus

hi, i have one myself and its in the process of restauration.. (the whole car) the weatherseals you can buy in a beetle-parts shop, but i have a question too: the water coming around the sliding-roof drains away via tubes in all four corners, and as far as i can see just down into the side of the body!? is this correct? cause it seems to me you create some rust like this fast. cant find any info on this topic..

greetz, rob

"Cletus" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
rob

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com...

It depends on the year. On my 74 super there are two drain holes in the front that funnel the water down into the corners of the trunk area via some rubber tubing. If the tubes are plugged(common problem...) the water will pool up in the drain channel under the sunroof panel and then start leaking into the car. What I did to fix it is grab the tubes under the hood and pull them upwards so I could get at the end and then I hit them with a bit of compressed air. A big 'plug' of leaves, dirt, dead bugs etc blew out and then it started to drain normally. It is a quick and easy fix to an annoying problem.

The rear on the 74 super has a drain pan screwed to the rear edge of the sunroof panel. It just funnels the water to the side so it can run into the drain channel. I do not know if there are drain tubes in the rear of the super beetles. I've never had the headliner out so its hard to tell. Maybe someone else can answer that one. The sunroof should not leak any water even if the seals are completely missing.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

yes, there are tubes in the back. I re-did the headliner last year. I have a photo of the tubes. If interested , let me know and I can email it.

Reply to
Mel P.

I don't know how many times I put an engine back in after it'd been out for a while and find no fuel getting to the carb because of some kinda bug making a "nest" in the fuel line. :/

Sounds like your idea would be cool since I figure it'll need to be repeated ever so often during the summer at least? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

yup all correct, my problem is that i dont know where the tubes lead to because as far as i can see they just end on the INSIDE of the body.. that seems strange to me as that will most certainly cause major corrosion on the inside. Anyone who knows how it is supposed to be? thanks a lot for replying..

rob

schreef >> hi,

Reply to
rob