Weber? 36DFAV procedures

Hi RAMVA!

A friend of mine just got a bug, 73 standard with few mods. And he called me to help him out with the initial maintenance. He mentioned having poor fuel eficiency. He says it's got a Weber 36 DFAV (23a 56 engraved on a side) Progressive carb. What is the procedure to correctly adjust this?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

the best adjustment to the weber progressive is to unbolt it and throw it as far as you can...then install a more "user friendly" carb.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'm begining to agree with you Joey. I finally found the procedures on the internet.

I'll try them tomorrow. This is what I found on my friend's car:

  1. Stock fuel pump disconected, electric fuel pump below tank, no regulator.
  2. About 10 MPG fuel consumption.
  3. Timing OK. Adapted electronic dizzy (made by the same mechanic who installed the reverse runing dizzy on my bug, this one advances correctly) about 30 deg. dwell
  4. Dark black smoke on the exhaust. begins at about 1500 RPM and gets worse, by 3000 RPM you can loose a tail 007 style.
  5. leaking A/C compresor, we'll change the gasket this weekend.

Any clues anyone? I already told my friend to toss the progressive. He has a

1600DP and I beat the crap out of him with a 1300SP and stock carb. And still got about 30 MPG. But I know he's on a budget and can't take care of the bug and its needs, So, as difficult as it might be, I'd like to fix this for him.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

the biggest issue with the progressive is running rich.....and usually when you lean them out you end up too far...they are truely a terrible pain to get to run even close to "properly"....intake manifold heating is a must, and the lack of preheated air in cooler climates kill the performance and economy of the setup....the fuel litterally puddles in the overly large plenum and then runs down to the cylinders....this leads to the smoking and poor fuel mileage that you report...also the poor performance.....to even get the thing to run decent you must first make sure the manifold and air is preheated if it is cool where you are....after that you will need to probably drop the jet sizes quite a bit...good luck....i fiddled with several on vw's over the years and *never* got them "right".

Reply to
Joey Tribiani