where to line bore 2 liter type 4 bus engine case in ohio?

can anyone refer me to a machine shop that can accurately line bore our

2 liter bus/vanagon engine to accept oversize bearings? we need a place somewhere within a half days drive of cleveland ohio.

the last shop that bored this case did not do a quality job, and right after the 1000 mile oil change, the bearing nearest the clutch seized and the recently rebuilt engine was dead.

we want to rebuild this engine and ordered new bearings, but after installing the new bearings for careful inspection today at a local machine shop, we discovered the seized bearing's bore was slightly tapered adn was out of spec on the tight side, thus making hte new bearing also too tight. Also, the center "split" bearing had a bore which was too large (.005" diameter) and out of spec even though the case was properly torqued..

the machine shop owner said this engine if rebuilt would not last as the center bearing would not carry any load while the outer bearings would take too much load adn possibly seize again, or the crankshaft would break from flexing over time..

so he suggested we have the case rebored for .040" oversize/standard bearings, buy the 040 oversize bearings adn rebuild form there..

but who can do this in ohio?

any suggestions??

thanks

hyubso

Reply to
hyubso

Not in Ohio, but I have heard good things about Rimco

Now do you want it done by a shop that has done many well.... or a shop that is close to you? And I would purchase the bearings from the shop that did the line boring too!!!

JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Dave's advise is the right way to go, just ship the case to them. I think anyway.

Reply to
Douglas

...............ship it to RIMCO

..................ship it to RIMCO