144 Interior heater stuck

Hello,

The temperature of the interior heater of my 71 144S changes very slowly from hot to cold and sometimes it won't go back to cold air at all. Does anyone know if this is easy to fix and how this is done?

Regards, Jan

Reply to
dasoft

The heater valve has the same problems as the valve in the 240. I wrote this last week about a 240:

The valve is located just to the right of the gas pedal, behind the plastic panel. First make sure the cable is adjusted properly, so the valve actually clicks closed in the cool position. With the plastic panel off, move the lever and see what is operating, and in what direction. Loosen the screw pinching the cable, and see if the lever will move more in the 'cool' direction. If that's working OK and you still have heat, you can tighten the screw (sealed with paint) on the end of the valve about a quarter turn try to make the shutoff more positive.

I think the valve on your car is mounted on the firewall, with the heater hose connections under the hood, and the cable connection under the dash. I'm sure you can find it by tracing the cable from the temp adjust wheel.

Reply to
Mike F