1987 740 GLE - ignition switch?

my friend's 87 740 seems to have a random no start. i checked it out tonight:

i turned the key to ON none of the lights came on in the dash. i cranked it, but it just sputtered and died immediately. i turned it OFF and then back ON, and then i have lights. then i have all the lights, i crank it, and it runs fine.

this seems to have come on with the extreme cold lately. otherwise the car has no running problesm, very smooth and plenty of power, so i've ruled out ignition and fuel. ignition switch?

Reply to
MudPuppy76

That's exactly what our '85 765T did when the ignition switch was going out - no lights, no start, when very cold. It got worse over a period of a month or so. Once running, it was reliable (didn't die) even when the starting problem became intolerable.

I was advised it is a very common problem and bought one from IPD

for $60 IIRC. It is pretty easy to replace - the switch is connectorized and unbolts from the lock part. It took me a little over an hour, with no inventive language.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Check the earth connection from the battery to the bottom of the engine block. The inner core of the cable breaks and causes stating problems - also at night headlamps go dim and bright according to whether the contact is made or broken. I had a 1986 740 GL Estate Car and had major problems with starting until I discovered this problem. Solution is easy - buy 2 braded earth straps form a accessory shop and bridge over the engine mounts. You will never have any further trouble. Additionally you can always add another earth strap from the battery to the bodyshell.

Reply to
Ken Hutchison

"no inventive language" heheheh. thanks for the tip.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

thanks for the tip. i will definnitely give this a check.

Reply to
MudPuppy76

That's "connectorized" and "no inventive language" in the same paragraph.

You are George Bush, and I claim my free holiday in the middle east.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Hey hey HEY if you Brits did not enable him the whole sorry adventure might never have happened.

Perhaps in every country we can consider the lonely men and women civilian or under arms as well as children both of the aforementioned folks, and native to Iraq or Afghanistan suffering because of the Iraq situation -- including the 100,000 or more Iraqis killed by the 'fight to make amerikah safer©®' --to say nothing of the awful destruction of lives and homes by the tsumini (sp)

Kind of makes the question of 850 or s80 seem kind of silly now....

Reply to
Steve n Holly

Reply to
Andy Mann

But the ignition switch seems to be the immediate problem.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee