1990 740 Braking problem - HELP!!

Hi there,

I really need some help here.

Driving along, minding my own business, went to brake and everything was very strange. Pedel felt a lot lower than normal. Came to a stop and on engine idle, the pedel was all the way to the floor.

The RAC man that came to rescue me suggested that it's not the master cylinder but the servo that's died.

Where can I get one in the UK? How much should I expect to pay and how difficult is it to fix?

Any other suggestion are more than welcome.

many thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

German French & Swedish, or EuroCar Parts. All available via internet.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

We are two people separated by a common language... is "servo" what we yanks call the "booster" - the vacuum operated assist located between the firewall and the master cylinder? Or is this an ABS system and the servo is part of the ABS control?

It sure doesn't sound like a booster to me. Those failures make the brake harder, and the mechanism just doesn't have the ability to make the pedal sink to the floor. The new price of a booster is outrageous - over $500 US last time I checked. However, they are readly available at a breaker for about 1/6 that price. But unless we are talking about an ABS system, I'd bet with confidence it is the master cylinder.

If it's ABS, you need somebody who knows about them.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi Mike, No ABS on this car so that should make life a bit easier. I'm thinking that I might try the hose first as it looks a bit tired.

I'll go from there after that.

Thanks for the replies,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

What??? When the pedal sinks to the floor it usually is a fluid leak. That may be due to worn seals in master or wheel cylinders or cracked pipes or hoses. Worn seals in cylinders are often due to rust on cylinder walls, due to not changing brake fluid often enouqh. (By cylinders I mean the Master cylinder and the Wheel cylinders in drum brakes or Calipers in disk brakes). Master cylinder leaks are not easily spotted. All cylinders can be honed and fitted with new seals, but it is not easy. Brake hoses crack by age or by hitting things, and brake pipes rust (corrode) from both inside and outside. They can be changed......

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

Just for the record, it was the master cylinder that died.

All is now good.

Thanks for all the help,

Richard

Asbjørn wrote: