760 won't start

My 86 760T wagon won't start but cranks fine. I tried a different powerstage, but there is still no power at the coil - not even the 12V I should see.

Any ideas? Thanks Greg

Check the hall sensor in the distributor, and more likely, the connector that hooks it up.

Reply to
James Sweet

Power to the coil is direct from the battery via the 15R terminal on the ignition switch. If there is no power at the coil either the wire is broken somewhere or the electrical portion of the ignition switch is faulty. Run a wire dierectly from the battery + to the coil + and turn the key to test.

Bob

Reply to
User

If the warning lights don't come on, I'm betting on a bad ignition switch. However, the power for that also comes from the medium-sized (6 AWG?) connection at the battery, so that is worth a look-see.

The ignition switch is a simple DIY job to replace and is available from IPD

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Or the car may have been modified with a "radio suppression relay". Look for a black relay with 4 round pins mounted somewhere around the perimeter of the engine compartment. If this relay is bad, you'll end up with your exact symptoms.

Reply to
Mike F