1994 850 -- have a "clunk" from right front wheel

I get the "clunk" not loud but definitely heard over the radio when I am in the last stages of breaking in a straight line (stop sign) or making a hard left turn from a standing stop. Not regular but often enough to be noticeable. No wheel noise during other turns or braking/starting.

Please. Pretty-please-with-ribbons don't tell me that its the CV boot going...

Reply to
Byrocat

Rob Guenther

It's obvious when the cv boot is gone... Oil gets flung everywhere inside the wheel opening. Your problem sounds more like a failing sway bar link, the occasional creak and clunk will soon become a clunk on every bump. Turn the wheels so you can access the sway bar link and shake it as hard as you can. If you feel any play, you need a new one.

Reply to
Mike F

Perhaps its a lose caliper bolt...even just a little lose will make it do this. Perhaps it's the cv....

Reply to
Steve n Holly

I had this clunk, and it turned out to be a £20 top spring seat bush thingy on the top of the front strut. Easy to change yourself if you have some spring compressors, and as implied, very cheap. I had the clunk when going over large bumps very slowly (like when pulling into my very steep driveway at an angle). If you were local, I'd offer to sort it for you, but it looks like you're many miles away! Cheers. Joe Landy Peterborough UK.

Reply to
Joe landy

New one went in the last shop visit a month ago, plus left-hand bearing.

Right-hand bearing was replace in January when I found the "Black Hole of Alliston" -- six feet long, three feet wide and one foot deep sinkhole at night. It took out both right-hand tires on my car, plus another six vehicles before the police could put out traffic cones. Score was somewhere around ten tires, and at least three aluminum Volvo rims (two for me and oen for the kid who'd borrowed Dad's car to run some friends home...)

Reply to
Byrocat

Hey Joe,

Where did you get it at that price? Everywhere I've looked its been about £40 or more! I presume you're referring to the big rubber bit with a steel insert bush the top of the strut bolts through?

Reply to
AB

I'm only two hours away from Peterborough. Peterborough Ontario .. UK is just a bit further down the 401...

Thanks!

Reply to
Byrocat

Hi all. I got the top spring seat/bush for £20 from my main dealer. Surprisingly cheap really, something like £17 plus VAT. Do you want me to send you some? I bought the rotary part of the top strut assembly first, thinking this was broken, but it was fine. I was scratching my head for a while until I noticed the dislodged steel tube in the centre of the bush. Yup, a little far to Peterborough UK for a cheap repair! Cheers. Joe.

Reply to
Joe landy