Another 240 Bites the Dust

I was just watching CSI: Miami, and what's the first thing I see? A wrecked

240 wagon. Why do the movies and TV feel so free to wreck these cars? Whenever I see a 240 wagon in a movie or TV show, I know the chances are good it won't live to see the closing credits. Drives me nuts! I think of all the hours, days, weeks, months I, and others I know, have spent seeking out great 240s to buy, and here's the show biz folks, pulverizing them for fun. Makes me boil.
Reply to
PButler111

Well, on the bright side, Monk's nurse's car is a good character! That said, Monk busts a signal lens by driving into a pole in one episode, and in another, it needs $700 of repairs (motivation for Sharona to ask to be paid).

Don't shoot me, but I don't get upset when common cars get crashed. But when I see something like a Type 3 Ghia or a split-window VW Van, or a '59 Impala get trashed, it upsets me.

Reply to
james of tucson

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Sometimes they do serious damage even if they don't crash them. For instance, the production people for Oliver Stone's JFK approached my Chevy club for cars to use in the movie. They took the club president's '59 Corvette, and decided not to use it in the movie. They mounted a camera dolly on it instead. By drilling four half-inch holes in the hood. In the hood of a show-quality 1959 Vette. We couldn't believe it. After that, the club made sure to tell people that if a movie company wants to use your car, offer to sell it to them at the price you want, or walk away. Don't listen to them, don't believe what they say about insurance, etc. They will walk, and go use somebody else's car. Let them.

Reply to
james of tucson

I hope so. Remember that beautiful gold 240 wagon in "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"? I've always wanted a 240 that color, and I nearly had a stroke when they crashed it in the movie. I can watch a movie where 1000 people die without me batting an eye, but if they shoot a single hole in a 240, I start to scream!

Reply to
PButler111

Interesting that it was an Oliver Stone movie. My first book was a biography of Jim Morrison and his wife, Pamela. When Stone did his truly horrible movie of The Doors, in addition to making a lot of broken promises about how he'd portray Pamela, he borrowed all kinds of Pamela's personal belongings from her parents and never returned them. I'm talking about personal letters, drawings, photographs -- things that are totally irreplaceable taken from the parents of this woman who died at 27. Your story simply confirms for me that Stone has absolutely no sense of personal responsibility or obligation to the people he exploits. He takes what he wants, and f*ck those stupid enough to let him.

Reply to
PButler111

Reply to
Rob Guenther

If "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" is too highbrow for you, I can only imagine you spend a good deal of time sitting in a box in the garage scratching behind your ear with your foot.

Reply to
PButler111

On 08 Sep 2004 11:19:32 GMT, the illustrious snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (PButler111) favored us with the following prose:

I've posted this before but I have to repeat it as I have never before (or since) seen such in-depth cinematographic adulation of the 240:

If you are in the mood for a very weird (and occasionally disturbing) movie featuring a Volvo I strongly STRONGLY recommend "Spun" which is out on video now. It's not for everyone but it has the very best Volvo cinematography of any movie anywhere ever. The brown, early 80's (or late 70's) 240 GLE should get a credit as it is for sure one of the main characters in the film. In the first 15 minutes you get shot after shot of the car, its interior, its moving parts in action, even close-ups of the engine starting and shutting down. It's the kind of photgraphy normally reserved for the kinds of cars in The Fast and the Furious or something.

And if you can see the lighter side of Americans addicted to methamphetamines you may enjoy the rest of the movie too. I recommend the DVD so you can get clear still-frames. Cast includes (forgive the spelling) Mena Suvari, Britney Murphy, Mickey Rourke, John Leguizamo, and stars the guy who played the lead in Rushmore (I think).

I'd give the movie 3.5 blurps out of 5 but if you want to watch it just for the Volvo I give it 5 BIG BLURPS!

blurp

Reply to
blurp

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Who insulted you? How? And how is your work schedule relevant?

Reply to
PButler111

"I can only imagine you spend a good deal of time sitting in a box in the garage scratching behind your ear with your foot."

I found this rather insulting, I just had never heard of your movie, and joked about that, perhaps, it was too highbrow for me. You really don't need to insult people; and how is my schedual relevant, it's not all that relevant, but when you're exhausted, and already kinda pissed off you don't need any more BS at the end of a long day, especially from someone you don't even know, or who doesn't know you.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Maybe you should go back and read it again. I didn't insult you, I insulted the movie, which is quite lowbrow.

Now this was insulting, and unnecessary. Shame on you.

I've seen other

Consider reading and understanding before acting like a complete jerk. I made a comment about a movie. You followed up by calling me a bitch. I don't think I'm the one that needs the lecture on being "cordial" here. You owe me an apology.

Reply to
PButler111

"PButler111" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com...

That´s just because Volvo has always been concidered as a "safe car". Even the early models are quite much safer (and so theyre cheaper too), than other brands. So in order to get a safe car for the movie crasch, they look for an 70-80 model to crasch.

Arne C

Reply to
Arne C

She earned a permanent entry in my killfile some time ago...

The first and only individual in this group so far.

Ask her nicely to apologise for her rudeness and she'll not only deny that she was rude but usually be even ruder in her response.

A killfile entry is highly recommended.

Reply to
athol

This one didn't look all that old to me (I mean, considering 1993 was the last year they were made). What I really love is that they lifted up the front passenger seat to reveal a groovy storage space underneath. Why doesn't my 240 wagon have that feature? (Oh, I know -- because no one needs a plot twist to justify my bizarre murder.)

Reply to
PButler111

Second that.

Reply to
Mike F

Yes, it's been pretty vicious the way I've been hanging around here talking about my Volvo. The nerve! And to think I would try to interfere with that perfectly nice gentleman who called me a bitch! Well! I never!

Get a life, gentleman. Just one between you would be sufficient.

Reply to
PButler111

And you proved them right!!!

Harold