1996 850 Mysterious Oil Leak in Driver side floor

Hi, I have a 1996 850, and just discovered a mysterious oil leak under the rubber floor mat in the driver's side floor area...the carpet under the mat was soaked with a clear oil like substance, and it seemed that the oil had wicked into the carpet somehow. There was no oil around the pedals or up higher...is this refrigerant oil? Any ideas on where it might be leaking? Thanks!

Reply to
amr1776

Not refrigerant oil if the AC/Defroster is working. I am thinking clutch fluid, if a manual tranny. Easy enough to tell; look at the reservoir. I don't particularly suspect the brakes because the booster should stop the fluid from getting into the passenger compartment, but while you are under there a peek at all the fluid levels would be nice.

If it is the clutch fluid, you need a new clutch master cylinder. My experience is that the master and slave cylinders usually go out within a few months (sometimes weeks) of each other, so a pre-emptive replacement of the slave would be a good idea.

If not a manual tranny, I'm stumped. Even a pinhole in the evaporator should drain any oil leaked onto the ground through the evaporator drain.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee