Help! A/C leaking...somewhere. Can't find source...

Hello... I'm having a problem with my Lexus GS300 (1998) that's been driving me nuts. I have taken it to the Lexus dealer 3 times and a non-Lexus dealer once...nobody can find the problem. Here is the problem:

When the A/C runs, I get a lot of water that builds up under the carpet on the drivers side. Not just under the floor mat...but all the way into the back seat. I have taken out the driver's seat and pulled the carpet back completely on the drivers side (including the carpet in the back seat). Its soaked (puddled water) all the way back. It doesn't appear to be coming down from the front firewall area. While the carpet is back, and the A/C is running - I can't see moisture coming from anywhere. The Lexus dealer cleaned out the A/C drains and the drain from the sunroof. Didn't help.

Any thoughts? Someone posted something earlier in reference to a leak in the steering column. Thats not my problem. I'm convinced its related to the A/C. I'm even thinking now that its origin isn't the front seat area, but somewhere under the seat or behind. There is a vent under the seat, but it doesn't seem to be leaking moisture either...

Its frustrating that I can't recreate it with the carpet pulled up. Perhaps the car needs to be in motion for this to happen (?)

All comments welcome!!

Thanks for ANY ideas...

Rex

Reply to
Rex

Has there been any rain at the times your problem occured? The only place A/C condensation occurs is in the evaporator. Possibly the drain line has a crack. Double check that you see a puddle under your car when using the A/C on humid days after parking.

Reply to
John

I'm afraid the only advice I can offer is going to sound stupid but it's never stopped me before.

Are you sure it's clear water? If it is, and keeping in mind that your car doesn't have a reservoir of clear water anywhere in it, then the only two sources of the water are from A/C condensate or an external leak. If it is not clear water then you should easily be able to tell by the smell or color if it's antifreeze or washer fluid (or perhaps you need to Pamper yourself and I don't mean by buying a new Lexus!)

If it were me I'd get my car washed at a car wash and don't use the A/C for two days; if you have water then it's coming in through a gasket. If no water, keep your car dry and use the A/C constantly. If you have water then it is obviously coming from the A/C and your Lexus dealer needs to fix it; if no water you're just screwed.

Reply to
Cary Scheck

Thanks for the comments. I have an update... Yes, it is water - and I had been thru the steps mentioned to ensure that its coming from the A/C. What I found it that it is coming from up front (finally got it to leak with the carpet out). Looks like its running down under the insulation on the firewall from somewhere in the central dash area. I can't get back there. Unfortunately, I still can't pinpoint the exact cause (I'm no mechanic...just persistent). The dealer mentioned a crack in the evaporator/heater core...and a cool $2600 would fix it. I have a feeling that perhaps the pan (reservoir) is cracked, and perhaps could be fixed with some silicone. Lexus won't do it, since they can't warrant that work, they would only replace the whole friggin thing...

Reply to
Rex

I agree with your assessment. But do you see water under the car after the AC has been running? If not, the drain to the pan is most likely clogged and certainly much easier to remedy.

Reply to
John

If what you are seeing is clear water, then it isn't a crack in the heater core.

The drain hose has come loose from it's connection to the evaporator housing, or that the hose is stopped up somewhere that the dealer hasn't been able to get to. Another rarer possibility is that the lower part of the evaporator housing is deformed or has a crack in it and water is leaking from there instead of being caught in the drain pan area.

If the Lexus dealer has charged you previously for trying to fix it, but hasn't, then I'd take it back to them, tell them what you know and ask them to try again. Even if your head hurts and it feels like it, this isn't a problem that requires a brain surgeon.

Reply to
Travis Jordan