1996 850 R unbeliveable!!

Sorry to those who thought I was going to wax lyrical about the performance of these cars.......I'm not. What I find unbelievable is that this was the last year they made the 850 and the glove box catch is still the same crap that was on the 1992 models. Did the penny not drop at Volvo? This car cost about £32,000 when new and they still fitted a cheap nasty die cast part that breaks.

I can only assume that the man? that designed this part was not married.......A working glove box is the only thing on a car that keeps the wife happy.

I feel better after that rant!!

ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Hi Alistair

The 1996 850 was not the last model year as witness my 1997 850 AWD stick-shift wagon. Both my wife and I are very happy with the (still) working glovebox. Research at Cambridge U. seems to be no longer what it was.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

I, too have a '97 850 but it's a non-turbo 2WD. My glove box, opened and closed about twice a day, works just fine. In all other respects, I am quite satisfied with this vehicle.

Chuck Fiedler Noth>Hi Alistair

Reply to
c.fiedler

Maybe because, when it happens, it's a royal pain in the arse to sort out?

After hearing all of the horror stories, I printed a little sign that says

'Please open carefully'

and stuck it right on the handle. It might not be very elegant but I surely don't fancy the prospect of going in with a hacksaw blade, etc., if somebody breaks it.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Does it really break often? I've never replaced a glove box latch in a 240 or 740. Those cars each have their own quirks though, they should have teamed with Rubbermaide to make the parking brake cover and door pockets on the 240s, and the headliner on the 740s leaves much to be desired. I still love the cars though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Apparently ... yes. It seems to be one of those 'known problems' with the 850s, along with the electric seat adjustment cables, and the windscreen wiper, and the (automatic transmission) shifter cut-out, and ...

I like my '95 850T too and, in fact, I've 'babied' it (presently less than 50K miles) -- but, things can and do go wrong, even in Volvoland.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry