850 stuck glove box door

I thought I read somewhere this was a known problem, but can't seem to find a fix. the 850 glove box door is locked. the finger latch moves, and does not seem to be loose, but it isn't releasing the catch. And.. before anyone asks - yes - I'm sure it's not locked with the key. Does anyone have a way (other than brute force) to fix this? It's a

1993 850 sedan. I'd prefer not to take a crowbar and hacksaw to it, but I will if I must. It needs state inspection this month, and the required paperwork is in there.

thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe,

I had this a few weeks ago, and basically was told tough... By all the people I asked

There is a very small cast pin on the side of the latch release, and this snaps off. I tried all sorts, and in the end had to resort to brute force. I managed to get a replacement cover from a breakers. I would suggest drilling a large hole in the centre top of the glove box door, using a hole cutter of about an inch or so. The release and the lock are to the side, and use a long link to get to the latch in the middle. You need to be behind the latch as the break is in the actual latch mechanism, not the lock or handle, You might need to attack the latch with a screwdriver and maybe harder to release it. The catch its self is also "U" shaped, and revolves around the top catch, so you need to try and push against the bottom to revolve it. I would then use a bung to hide the hole.

This way worst case is you have to replace the lock and if you want to, the front cover.

Unfortunately, I tried to go for the hinges, and damaged the mounting, so now the door sits lop-sided. Don't try that. I also tried to poke a hacksaw blade down by the latch to cut the "U" shaped top catch bracket, "a" it is hard, "b" the blade did not do much, and it also scratched the facia.

Last thing I did was to leaver the front off, this results in all the screw mouldings snapping off the front facia cover. Hence the replacement.

So if I had ever need to do it again, I have decided to go for the above and live with a largish hole behind the lock, filled with a bung, and do my best to match it in with the trim colour.

Not much help I know, hopefully someone out there has a miracle way,

Clive

Reply to
Clive

An old posting stated:

Re: Glove Box door Stuck[850/94] posted by Rich K.

You take a rag and wrap it around a 12" pry bar and pry the box open as far as you can, then you take a saw with a 3-4" blade and you cut the wire like latch that the door latches to. Now if you are not careful you will damage the trim on the door, but knock on wood I haven't messed up one in a long time. Patients. After cutting through you can get in and replace the broken componants in the door as well as the part you had to cut. -- Rich K.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning