1998 S70 filter and pads help

This is a T5.

I know the oil filter is inset into the oil pan but was wondering....what is the (black) canister filter that is toward the passenger side of car right behind the front bumper?

The top of the filter points down....can't miis it when you look under the front of the car.

ALSO.....

Can the front pads be inspected with the wheel on?

From the drawings, it looks as though the pads themselves are more of a square shape and are hidden from view from the much larger calipers?

I can't seem to get a handle on checking their condition.

Does the wheel need to come off?

THANKS KINDLY.

Reply to
Michael

Carbon canister.

You tell us! You have the car!! (If you have the 16inch T5 alloys, and this the proper 302mm discs- ATE calipers, then yes you can inspect the front pads with the wheels on.)

If you have for some reason 15inch wheels and the 290mm discs then yes, the caliper / wheel does obscure them.

You should remove the wheels anyhow a) to ensure they're not stuck to the hubs, and b) to inspect the suspension strut / hoses / caliper / bushes anyhow, dont be lazy!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim.

I have 15" wheels and although I can easily see the rear pads...the front ones are tricker to inspect?

From photos I've seen they're a square pad that lies in the middle of the calipers? whereas the rears are more of the "oblong shape"?

I better look at the recommended replacement on the charcoal canister....have 70k on my car now.

Picking it up as I go along......thanks Tim.

Reply to
Michael

Doesnt sound like you have the ATE spec brake-gear . Is this a UK car or what??

No interval for the Carbon canister as far as i am aware.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It's swedish-american I guess.

Love the car....only 70k and I'm the original owner.

Only problem is the ABS sensor/controller system...been driving with an intermittent warning light for 2 years. (either dirty sensor(s) or cracked pcb from what I hear).

Only things I've ventured myself on it are changing the plugs and the serpentine belt....and repaired a broken door hinge.

Thought I'd try replacing the front pads myself...we'll see.

I suppose better to check my last invoice on when I had them replaced and just go ahead and do it.

Guy at autozone says it's easy as pie and I even see their pads have favorable comments on the forums.

Reply to
Michael

I'd suggest sticking with Volvo pads. Other brands have a significant probablity of either excessive squeal or eating the rotors.

Reply to
DE Retiree

I'd also suggest sticking with Volvo pads. Other brands have either excessive squeal or eating the rotors.

Robert

850, V70-I, V70-II

"DE Retiree" schreef in bericht news:xeadnQYcPItAxOHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
volvo480

My experience also.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I have some Mintex (unsure of model) pads on our S70, and although abit dusty, they work well, though are prone to be smokey, though not to fade-prone when used hard.

Discs seem to be wearing well too..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..