1998 S70 T5 - i hate you! obd2 nightmare

My car is driving me crazy. Here, I was happy to reach the 100K mile mark, but all these funky problems arise!

First, as I mentioned in a recent post, I start hearing a hum from the front passenger side, which makes me think it's the wheel hub "again". Could it be an alignment issue since I just had my spring seats replaced??? My tire was worn a bit around the edge, but I also might have been driving with sub par tire pressure too.

This morning, the check engine light came on when I started the car. Along with that, the orange arrow was blinking (TRACS?), and the car was idling at 2000rpm for a little while. As I drove to work, I noticed that the car drives sort of like the traction control is on, ie a stiff pedal, slower acceleration, slower gear changes.

So, I had AutoZone read my OBD-II, and it gave 3 codes! grrr. So, can anyone help me decipher what these mean:

P0120 - "The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the throttle position sensor"

P0123 - "The PCM has determined that the input from the throttle position sensor is higher than expected for the current engine operationg conditions"

P0108 - "The PCm has determined that the manifold absolute pressure sensor or the barometric pressure sensor input is higher than expected for the current engine operating conditions"

Help, please!

Mike

Nothing funky that I could see.

Tire wear can definitely create odd humming noises. I strongly suggest that you keep the pressure set correctly.

Never heard of this service from Autozone before. Did they charge you? If so, I would have thought they would have provided some analysis too.

Reply to
Roadie

Autozone read the codes for free, and I've listed the information that they gave about each of the codes.

Given the driving condition I've described and the information in the codes, would it be a safe bet to replace the "throttle position sensor"? It seems easily accessable and not terribly expensive at $61.32 locally. Sure, it's only $48 from fcpgroton, but with the way the car is behaving, I can't wait for the shipment.

Roadie wrote:

Reply to
mchiu

Volvo has an open recall on many of the Throttle Position Sensors. Maybe you have one of the effected units. Check with a dealer to see if they will cover it under the special recall.

The ABS/Tracs light problem is probably a failed ABS/Tracs module. This part seems to have a near 100% failure rate sometime before 150k miles. This guy has made a business out of fixing them:

Best of luck, John Former 850 owner, now Acura TSX owner

Reply to
John Horner