220,000 service for a Volvo 240

Hello, my volvo mechanic says he needs to change the fan belt for my Volvo

240 because its done 220,000km; and it may cost US$500.

Does that sound expensive?

Thx!

Reply to
S. McLaren

"S. McLaren"

USD 500??? Unless he means *timing* belt, it's outrageous.

Reply to
Vestman

"S. McLaren" skrev i meddelandet news:a4deb.130252$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Wow - I'd say $50 would be expensive!

//Johan

Reply to
JohanE

I changed fan belt and waterpump for about US$50 here in Norway, on my '86 Volvo 240 GLE. Did it myself. US$500 to get it done sounds way to much, even if fan belt is included.

Are you sure it wasn't the timing belt your mechanic said? But even that sounds expensive to me.

- Leiv Magne Faane, Norway.

"S. McLaren" skrev i melding news:a4deb.130252$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Reply to
Leiv Magne Faane

He might be talking about the timing belt. Even than it sounds too expensive. Phone around.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Opps I think he meant the timing belt.

He's my regular mechanic for the Volvo- I did shop around but the other mechs I sent it to usually stuffed something up.

Reply to
S. McLaren

Five hundred is a bit much...for that I would hope he plans to change the timing belt, front seals, water pump, water hoses, all the accessory belts and change the oil and filter as well.

------------------------------------------------------------- Don

'67 122 - 1st car '70 142 - Lemon '72 145 - Gone But Not Forgotten '81 242t - Esther's Turbo (Project Car, back on the road again!) '82 245 - POS '89 740ti - Ilsa, Daily Driver

Reply to
Don Hodgdon

Must be doing far more than T belt and front seals for $500. That even sounds a bit high if water pump, tensioner and all other belts are included. Find out everything he intends to do.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

Even if it's the timing belt that's outrageous! It should be no more than a

2 hour job for any mechanic, most shops charge what, $60 an hour? That's $160 tops even using an OEM Volvo belt.
Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Charles Owens