1.6 Litre Petrol Astra (Y2000) - Will a broken CAM belt cause engine damage

Hi - My sister in law has a 2000(X) 1.6 Litre petrol Astra - She has just broken down and the AA towed her to a garage who told hert that the Cam belt broke.

Is this an Interference Engine ?? Would the pistons have hit the valves when the belt broke ???

She needs to know how much this will cost . ie will it be a head off job or just a new belt.

If this is not an interference engine then she should not expect a HUGE estimate from the workshop ??

thanks in advance

Steve

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

Thus spake Steve Harvey unto the assembled multitudes:

The Haynes manual for this model (I have the same) says that "severe damage to the engine will result if the timing belt breaks during use." I suspect your sister will be facing an expensive repair bill. If the engine was only idling and not under load then she might get away with it, but if she was travelling at any speed the damage may be extensive.

Out of interest, how many miles had the car done since the last cambelt change?

Reply to
Andy Clews

Which 1.6 is this? If its the 16v then big damage is a guarranteed yes. In this case belt change interval is 40k. What mileage is on the car? If it has had a ful Vx service history, then i'd be back at the dealer sharpish., especially if its done more then 40k and they havent changed the belt.

If its the old 8v then the valves still do contact the pistons, but the cam fingers break in this instance which is alot easier and cheaper to fix (head doesnt have to come off usually)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Turns out the belt had never been changed from first sale nearly 5 years ago and the car was over 60,000 and the recommended interval is 40,000 miles.

She was told at the last service that it was need but she was hoping that it would last unitil the next service - which was due later this month

Quote is 1,500 quid !!

- ouch

Reply to
Steve Harvey

maybe 700 to 800 from an independant

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

Heavy. 300-500 for a 1.8 Vectra, can't see why a 1.6 Astra should be dearer. Dealer here wanted 800.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Didn't the recommended interval used to be 50000? Maybe they reduced it after repeated failures! One place that I worked at had two 16V 1.6 Astras, both snapped their cambelts and did serious damage just below 35000 miles :(

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

bends valves and breaks valve guides usually

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

I recall being in a Vauxhall dealer in mid Wales and seeing a 1.6 16v Astra with a snapped belt at less than 1,200 miles. Admittedly it was a hire car, but that's still quite a feat!

Reply to
Doctor D